CRH Dumps vs Auction Dumps

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know everyone loves the idea of getting a valuable coin for face value, but I tried something new this week and used my CRH funds to buy a coin lot at an auction. I spent about $50 to buy $45 in face value coins. As far as I can tell, the only things that would count as keepers would be a few dateless buffalos, 50 common wheats and a 68 kennedy. The rest of the coins were sacagaweas, SBAs, clad 1/2's and what I believe are ordinary quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies.

Getting to my point though, I now need to dump the common coins. I'm having a lot of trouble doing this. I have this nagging feeling that these coins were set aside for a reason and that I'm missing something. Just the fact that there were 1964 nickels, a lot of Bicentenial 1/2's and quarters, and the small dollar coins leads me to believe the prvious owner was just someone like I was 6 months ago. AKA, someone that was delusional about how common some of these coins really are.

Just wondering if any of you have ever struggled with a situation like this.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It's no different than any coin you get from a MWR or get back in change. If it has value to you, you keep it.

Casual collectors keep "worthless" stuff all the time. That's what you found - a casual collector's collection. Dump it and keep on hunting.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
My wife and I used to collect the bicentennial halves and quarters before I got into CRH. Once I started CRH I stop keeping any new ones I found, but my wife won't let me dump the ones we have collected in the past (probably about $100 face).

I thought it was pretty funny that I recently found where someone else had dumped their collection of bicentennial halves. 10 rolls - all bicentennials.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still keep all of my Bicentennial quarters. I know they arent worth anything more than face value, and are one of the highest minted of all the quarters. I sold a roll on ebay a while back for $15, pretty small gain but a gain nonetheless. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, probably give them to my kids or something.

I end up keeping a lot of stuff that's worthless but for some reason appeals to me; gold plated halves, some NIFC halves, cents with JFK engraved on them, canadian cents, Ikes. I can't find buyers for the stuff, but I just don't feel comfortable dumping them either.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I still keep all of my Bicentennial quarters. I know they arent worth anything more than face value, and are one of the highest minted of all the quarters. I sold a roll on ebay a while back for $15, pretty small gain but a gain nonetheless. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, probably give them to my kids or something.

I end up keeping a lot of stuff that's worthless but for some reason appeals to me; gold plated halves, some NIFC halves, cents with JFK engraved on them, canadian cents, Ikes. I can't find buyers for the stuff, but I just don't feel comfortable dumping them either.

You are doing it right then. Keep them as along as you feel like you want to have them. You can always change your mind later and dump them for face value. If you dump them today and later wish you had kept them, you're out of luck.

Liking to have them is enough reason to keep them. With a few exceptions, there are no wrong ways to do CRH so long as you are doing what pleases you. The peer pressure that says you are wasting your time/effort is immaterial.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides, my 2 year old loves to carry around the Ikes and halves that I give her (with supervision of course). She smiles and says "money" over and over when she sees me going through the halves because she knows that she gets to carry a few and clink them together - she likes the silver ones the best :thumbsup:

Sorry, I have turned this thread into a different subject. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you feel like keeping them, keep em! It won't cost you much to hold on to them for a while and you can always change your mind later on.

Last edited:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
You must live in the middle of nowhere. I have access to about 20+ coin machines up to 30 miles from my house. Well whatever banks you do have access to may have a coin machine in the back room so be sure to ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread