CRH Injuries?

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Funny thing happened to me while CRH at work yesterday, which I sometimes do when work is slow and I'm behind on nickles.

I've gotten into the habit lately of just breaking nickel rolls open at the middle, like you'd break a twig or something. And though it's faster than cutting and doesn't nick the coins as can sometimes happen using a blade, about a hour into it I noticed a small pain on my thumb, which I ignored. A short time later, when it got to be a little more painful, though, I took a look, and sure enough, I had a blister, which apparently had been caused by the friction between the inside of my thumb and the nickel rolls as I broke them in half. No big deal, of course, but it got me wondering if anybody else out there has ever sustained an injury in the noble pursuit of CRH?

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why not just unfold the end of the roll

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've cut my thumb using a pocket knife to open rolls and I've dropped a box of halves on my foot. Both were no fun.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a pissed off wife count?

She says she doesnt like it, but I will leave $50 in dimes in the car, go into a bank, and when I come out she will have already gone through them. She always says "I wanted to try and find one first" seems to me that she has a little more interest then she lets on!

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they are "shotgun" MWR's, and therefor not easy to unfold--almost all my nickles come from boxes.

Sure they can.. just stick a flat object in there, pull it up and work it around. When you get the hang of it, it doesn't take much longer than breaking them open.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The skunk n sons paper can just be ripped from the sideof the roll.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had pain in my fingers for the last few weeks from huntin. Pretty sure I'm contributing to my own early-onset arthritis.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Constant blisters turned to callouses on thumbs from squeezing plastic nickel and cent rolls to release them.
Sliced palm when my plastic cart gave out under 6 boxes of halves in a bank.
Aching back after CRHing until 3am some weekends.

No - what injuries?!

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those plastic tubes you can just rip the plastic at the ends.no hassle.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Repetitive Stress Syndrome from opening, searching and rue rolling all these bloody coins! LP

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I have cut the ol' thumb with a butter knife a time or two. I used to break in the middle, but I found that it was faster for me to unwrap an end using a knife because you can get an entire roll of dimes laid out very neatly in your hand.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I've had an odd one. twice when opening boxes of cents there has beena weird smell onthem. A s I've opened more and more of them in that box, I started getting a runny nose and even started to get dizzy once.

I know something was on those pennies. Mayb e they washed them or something. S ame smell both times. Like a cleaning agent. And my nose ran like craxy while unwrapping them. Very odd, but a true story.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i usually just hit the rolls with a hamer!( if my hands get tired)

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
I'm new, but my way is super quick, makes for easy searching and easy cleanup. I have a knife sharpener so my knives (the only other thing I collect besides the coins) are always razor sharp. I take the roll and shave the rolled part of the end off on both sides. I can see the coins on the end so if they are valuable I'm more careful. Once the ends are "shaved" off I can put the roll in my palm and pull the paper straight off and flatten it a bit to go right into a box. The to ends that now look like rings go in the box and the coins are perfect for examination. Give it a try but don't filet your thumb. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread