CRH on front page of Reddit.com

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if everyone here is familiar with Reddit, but it is one of the largest social (news aggregate) websites around.

A video of a man who searches dimes was posted to a section of the website (or sub-Reddit) that has 1,570,554 watchers. Since it was posted yesterday it has made its way to the front page of the top level site.

Link to post and video:

My dad sifts through hundreds of dollars of dimes a week, looking for silver ones. : videos

Thoughts?

Edit: Reddit post now featured on MSN.com (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/303657-news-spills-coin-roll-secrets.html)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin roll hunting should remain top secret.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
A quote from the video (talking about the clad dimes): "They're copper. I don't know what the coating is. Maybe Chrome. But, they're copper."

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hunter is not very knowledgeable. Not that I'm a genius - but this guy...

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was reading the comments where his son is answering questions and the good thing about it is they are mostly talking about dimes which I think will turn a lot of people off when they think about squinting to look at a dime. I didn't see any mention about the 40%er which are the best kept secret publicly available to anyone with a computer but I didn't watch the video. I would think that most who would try it would quit after a few skunk boxes. His son said that he finds 1 silver dime every 100 dollars he does like it was a sure thing so maybe the first 100 they do without finding one will be their last. I know from the looks I get when I carry my boxes in and out of the bank that most people think it is not worth the effort.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also, dumping will become an issue... people would walk into the bank, but $100 in dimes and won't be able to return them without a fee at some places, that would be the last time they lose $9.80 on the coinstar machine for no silvers!
I was reading the comments where his son is answering questions and the good thing about it is they are mostly talking about dimes which I think will turn a lot of people off when they think about squinting to look at a dime. I didn't see any mention about the 40%er which are the best kept secret publicly available to anyone with a computer but I didn't watch the video. I would think that most who would try it would quit after a few skunk boxes. His son said that he finds 1 silver dime every 100 dollars he does like it was a sure thing so maybe the first 100 they do without finding one will be their last. I know from the looks I get when I carry my boxes in and out of the bank that most people think it is not worth the effort.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It was posted on Youtube on the 14 of July, as of right now 1:54 pm today, it has 37,811 views! One video going virual and hitting the news would not be good. There are a lot of people out there that have alot of money and time on there hands just lookin for somethin to do with it. Thats all I'm sayin, yes Youtube vid is what got me started 9 months ago, but I don't like CRHing vids on there. HH, Maverick.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree. Only I am allowed to CRH LOLOLLO. It is kinda discouraging though as I just started my self 2 weeks ago and thinking I wont get to do as much as I wanted too before this things goes mainstream....Darn.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not worth the effort. Unless you are in it for the hobby (dimes) are a losing proposition, unless you know the secret of dime roll hunting.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he told you it wouldnt be a secret...

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the secret is: ask the teller for JOIRJofhdsobjgkfsdgfmc,xv <== Chuck norris just slammed my face into the keyboard srry :P

ask for customer delivered rolls

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
Does anyone remember the thread about a year back where some guy wanted to get a TV pilot going about Coin Roll Hunting? Yeah, didn't ever come to fruition. But everyone here was about to rip the guys throat out over it.

Unless you're going to show how they can find $10,000 coins, most average people won't bother.

OP
OP
M

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys remember the whole coupon fad that hit last year, right after the show Extreme Couponing appeared on The Learning Channel? With all of the exposure the show got, retailers did away with most of their "loss leader" coupons.

Here's a list of some policy changes that went into effect due to the coupon fad:

http://bargainbabe.com/2011/07/11/extreme-couponing-no-longer-allowed-retailers-update-policies/

I can see something like this possibly happening with bank/credit union policies re CRH.

As I said on the Reddit post "This is definitely a hobby that depends on its obscurity to thrive. Not that all silver will be pulled from circulation if a few more people know about it, but a mass influx of new enthusiasts can change bank policies and make it much harder to obtain/dump coins. Not sure if damage to a hobby is worth Reddit karma".

You can say "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!111" all you like, but a CRH fad would certainly have adverse and lasting effects on the hobby.

Last edited:

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now now don't panic. CRHing is not for everyone, and although this publicity isn't great, it isn't going end silver hunting for us in the short run.

We are fighting a losing battle. I feel like sorting for silver is becoming more and more popular (at least in niche groups), and silver is being pulled faster and faster. All we can do is sort more and enjoy the returns we're getting or have in the past.

I think anyone that truly thought this could be a weekly hobby that could last another 30 years is only fooling themselves.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Do you guys remember the whole coupon fad that hit last year, right after the show Extreme Couponing appeared on The Learning Channel? With all of the exposure the show got, retailers did away with most of their "loss leader" coupons.

As I said on the Reddit post "This is definitely a hobby that depends on its obscurity to thrive. Not that all silver will be pulled from circulation if a few more people know about it, but a mass influx of new enthusiasts can change bank policies and make it much harder to obtain/dump coins. Not sure if damage to a hobby is worth Reddit karma".

You can say "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!111" all you like, but a CRH fad would certainly have adverse and lasting effects on the hobby.

This is much different in terms of exposure than the extreme couponing fad that started last year. I am a believer in the power of the internet, but a youtube video being popular on reddit and getting a mention on MSN is certainly not the same as a popular TV show that at its peak seemed like it was being run in marathons three days a week, being advertised often on multiple cable networks, and getting mentions in the local and national TV and print press for months.

That said, how this is similar to extreme couponing is that most people that watch this aren't going to start doing it. Most will either think it is cool but never actually do it themselves or watch it and think that we are a bunch of freaks that are wasting our time. Of the few (maybe 10% at most) that will try CRH almost all will either do it on a small scale or search a big amount the first time and give up after they get skunked, figure out how tedious searching coins can be, or have trouble finding a place to dump their searched coins. I've seen copper penny harvesting mentioned on multiple TV programs and news articles, but you still don't see a lot of people doing that either.

I'll agree that if this turned into a fad on the level of extreme couponing that it would be detrimental to the hobby, but I just don't see it ever getting to that point. That there are silver coins out there isn't a huge secret, and a determined person is going to figure it out anyway.

Just my two copper cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread