CRH on front page of Reddit.com

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if everyone here is familiar with Reddit, but it is one of the largest social (news aggregate) websites around.

A video of a man who searches dimes was posted to a section of the website (or sub-Reddit) that has 1,570,554 watchers. Since it was posted yesterday it has made its way to the front page of the top level site.

Link to post and video:

My dad sifts through hundreds of dollars of dimes a week, looking for silver ones. : videos

Thoughts?

Edit: Reddit post now featured on MSN.com (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/303657-news-spills-coin-roll-secrets.html)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: I wouldn't worry too much about getting lots of new competition from this video. Last year when silver was over $45 a ounce, there were lots of stories on the news about it & crh. People may try it once or twice but they mostly get discouraged when they run into skunk boxes & figure the time & expense spent on getting the coins, going thru them & than having to get rid of them, isn't worth it. The sky isn't falling & as we used to say in the army "don't sweat the small stuff".

HH Everyone

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I suppose if CRH ends there is always metal detecting. and if that goes south there is always thrift store shopping....and then garage sales....and then dumpster diving. oh god, if things get really bad I may even start digging up corpses for their gold teeth

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think it will have much of an effect on the hobby as a whole other than banks changing policies, which we will just have to roll with it and make adjustments.

When I first started CRH I was thinking that I could make a bunch of moneydoing it, like a part time job. I learned pretty quick that it was not going to pay off like that, but I have always been interested in coins, so I continue to do it not for the profit, but for the love of the "game" I feel that most people who will read these articles and see the news coverage will think the same way that I did - an easy way to make a quick buck.

Lets say they come across a good dime box - 5 silvers - an above average return. Now that person has to either sit on the silver and save it (not the American way) or find some place to sell it quick. After making a few phone calls, this new CRH finds a local pawn shop that will give him $1.25 for each silver dime. So in the end this new CRH spent at least an hour of their precious time driving, searching coin, dumping, and selling for a handsome profit of $5.25. Like I said, I think we're safe for now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread