CRISPINS CRITTERS

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Backbacon, I'm heading back to camp, and the bush for the weekend.....that place of serenity, and no phone! Forecast for temps. in the high 20's, and 30's , with rain and snow showers......A great day to be in the blind, watching Mother Nature churn up her best....later all......Gary
When it gets dark and time to leave give the old gal a tiny wave and smile for me.She,ll know why.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some mighty pretty countryside...

Mighty pretty indeed!

I love Blue Moon draft with a shot of Orange Juice in it. Keeps the scurvy away and tastes great!

I intend to win the battle against scurvy this weekend.... Kind of like how 302Guy won the war against anorexia. :occasion14:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a safe weekend everyone, I'll check back in on Sunday night and will hopefully have some good pictures to share with all of you when I get back. :wave:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got Z-Max standing by.

Just give the word and I'll release the hound...

Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 7.08.16 AM.png

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Tripped over this recipe for ceviche so I thought I'd share it.

If you don't have sea bream available another firm fleshed white fish would work also.

Regards + HH

Bill

Toronto now has yet another reason to consider itself the centre of the universe.
enRoute named the city’s Bar Isabel the best new restaurant in Canada. The tapas-style restaurant combines international cuisine with a Spanish-style dining experience (delicious drinks! late-night eats!). Its deceptively small plates are jam-packed with flavour and are designed to hold enough grub to share with your fellow foodies. Each meal is a culinary tour de force, thanks to a menu that spans the continents. Although the vibe is decidedly Spanish, that’s not the only kind of cuisine to expect.
“We’re not a complete Spanish restaurant,” Chef Grant van Gameren admitted to Canada AM. ‘We don’t like to kind of contain ourselves, you know, so we take from French, a little bit of Italian and South American as well.’
So how does enRoute come up with its winner each year? According to the magazine’s editor-in-chief, Ilana Weitzman, it actually sends one guy across the country to stuff his face for a month (best job ever?). Then he unbuttons his pants, puts out his cigarette and decides on a winner.
Can’t make it to Toronto? Get a little taste of Bar Isabel at home with this recipe straight from its menu:
Whole Sea Bream Ceviche
Serves 2
1 600-g super fresh sea bream*
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 leek, white and green parts, washed and julienned
1 sea bream carcass
1 cup cornstarch
1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
1 red Anaheim chili, thinly sliced
1/8 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 bunch cilantro, picked and washed
1/4 bunch mint, picked
1 ripe avocado, diced into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt to taste
Ceviche Marinade
120 mL Goya Bitter Orange marinade
50 mL fresh-squeezed lime juice
50 mL fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp tamarind concentrate
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp white sugar

• Dice sea bream filets into 1/2-inch cubes. Season bream in a medium-sized mixing bowl with salt and minced garlic. Give it a mix and let it mingle for 5 minutes.
  • Add ceviche marinade to the bream (reserving 1/4 of marinade) and mix well.
    Let this stand in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, giving it a stir every 5 minutes to redistribute the marinade.
  • While the fish is essentially “cooking” in the marinade, preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees. Fry leeks for approximately 1 minute or until crispy. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel and season with salt.
  • Season your sea bream carcass with a bit of salt and dust entirely with cornstarch. Fry for 3 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • Remove to paper towel-lined plate and season again with salt, paying close attention to the cheeks as those are the tastiest bits of the head.
  • By this time, the acid in the marinade should have reacted with the fish nicely. The flesh should be white due to the acid reacting with the protein of the fish.
  • Depending on how spicy you like it, add your red chilies and serrano peppers, along with the red onion and a small handful of cilantro and mint, reserving a bit of the fresh herbs and chilies for the the leeks.
  • Give this a stir and let all these fresh flavours release their deliciously potent oils.
    Add remaining marinade along with the diced ripe avocado and begin slowly mixing all the ingredients together.
  • The ripe avocado should begin to thicken the ceviche, marrying all flavours together in each spoonful and turning it a beautiful pale-green colour.
  • Don’t be shy, taste it and add a bit of salt, if needed. The flavour should be bright and punchy.
  • Spoon out the ceviche onto the carcass of the fish (which, by this point, should be slightly cooled down so as not to warm the ceviche) and garnish with the fried leeks and remaining cilantro, mint and chilies (if you like it spicy).
*Have your fishmonger fillet, bone and remove skin. Feeling adventurous? Ask him/her to reserve the carcass for you.
Bon appétit!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill,
Who has the time to even shop for all that food?
I could bring 'take out' fish tacos home and consume them before I could get to the store, select one avocado, bring it home and then dice it into one inch cubes--much less select, bring home and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Don....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm confused. mastiff4me is squiggy?

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. I am Mastiff. I was going to respond, :) and it added me but not my message.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,

LOL.....I'm a bit of a foodie and so is my wife so we don't mind playing around in the kitchen coming up with some
good chow.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,
Who has the time to even shop for all that food?
I could bring 'take out' fish tacos home and consume them before I could get to the store, select one avocado, bring it home and then dice it into one inch cubes--much less select, bring home and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Don....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

George Harrison + Paul Simon - Here comes the sun.....the video is crappy but the audio is great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread