Crotal Bells, preserving the clapper (iron pea)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice every time I pick up or shake a crotal more rust falls out, sometimes some pretty big (relatively) pieces. My concern is that in a certain amount of time the clappers will be totally gone, and they will no longer ring, and won't be near the same thing.

Does anyone oil theirs ? or some other treatment ?
I'd like them to stay working as bells as long as possible.

IMG_1487.JPG

Thanks in advance.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see the problem and it's not an easy one to solve. The horse bells are easier as the clapper is easy to get to, but the crotal bells aren't. What would concern me would be that a rust inhibiter would mark up or stain the patina on the outside of the bell, so an oil dip or getting just to the ball inside with a syringe might be an option. There is nothing cooler than soaking and digging out the dirt and ringing the bell after all those years. Having dug bells that are from the 16th-20th century I still get a kick out doing it each time, and thinking that I'm the first one to hear the ringing after all that time, this is totally different feeling then getting a coin or another relic.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great question Rick!
I've noticed the same thing, a little bit of rust coming out every so often. One possible solution would be to capture the pea with tweezers or even a magnet in the holes or crack then carefully coat it with something like clear nail polish to seal it completely, that's just an idea

All I can add is enjoy the sweet sound while it lasts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread