May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(yesterdays finds - due to time taken cataloging them)
Now we are getting back into our stride.:thumbsup:
The day started slow with the first Roman Site a oilseed rape stalk field being a bust after a 30 minute raid.
We were still in scouting mode & tried an un-searched field with no intel, but I had a hunch it should produce medieval, & we are really low on hammered this year (might end up our lowest), so it was worth a shot. At the 2 hour point we had lots of averages finds & some good indicators that with some further gridding a hammered may show. I also had 1 random Roman Coin on the way back to the car. So its on the future hit list, just not at the top.
Although I've been holding back on the 2nd half of the Roman Mansio Site until conditions improve, I reluctantly agreed it was our next best bet, so we moved. On the way there we drove past some of our favourite set of fields that were deeply ploughed recently. Cru'dad had only just been told they would not be graded down from ankle breaks for another week, but they already looked better. We drove in & saw that they had been graded down to a knobbly but workable state, that brighten my mood until we got around to Brooch Field & saw it was still not done, but as luck would have it the tractor was just finishing Copse Field.:headbang:
Due to the healing process Cru'dad watched me for 2 hours; 8 coins in the 1st hour, 14 in the next. He then made his move, he detected with me for less then 10 minutes & dug that lovely gold shiner, in fact it was the only keeper he had that hour which is strange because I was picking 1 in every 5 off the top.:icon_scratch:

2nd Field (2 Hours);
Will III near blank Shilling
2 Medieval Buckles
Broken Tudor Clothes Fastener
Various coins & buttons.

Copse Field (4 Hours for me, 1 hour for Cru'Dad);

Victorian Iron Key
Roman Brooch
Iron Age Fibula
37 Roman Bronze Coins - A few I need in pretty good nick.8-)
1 Roman Silver Debased coin
Circa 30BC South Ferriby Type Gold Stater:hello2:

It also just happen to be our best 1 day total for Roman Coins this year.

Let the games begin.:metaldetector:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 57

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations to both you and CRU'DAD! That's a remarkable collection of finds. The gold stater is pretty darn special. CRU'DAD must be thrilled.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Stater is a work of art. Congrats to your padre, and to you for an excellent outing yourself.

Making "epic" look "easy" once again.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply unbelievable! Huge congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to both you and CRU'DAD! That's a remarkable collection of finds. The gold stater is pretty darn special. CRU'DAD must be thrilled.
Yeap, he made me run over thinking it was our first Roman Gold. Funny enough he kind of talked it up. Earlier he had said 'didn't we have a Qter Stater out of here'. At first I didn't think so, then I remember he had one but some distance outside of the Roman area. This time it came out right in the heart of the Roman Site, in an area we have gridded over for many years. The deep plough has done us a great favour.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Stater is a work of art. Congrats to your padre, and to you for an excellent outing yourself.

Making "epic" look "easy" once again.

Funny enough on the way back in the car, we joked with each other about how easy we make it look.:thumbsup: :laughing7:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine walking over that kind of history? Do you ever get "bored" with your more "common" finds? LOL! Common for you guys is like finds of a lifetime for most folks it seems. Unreal finds and well documented and photographed post as always.:icon_salut:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo! Congrats to Crudad and to you with your coin score! Many of these Stater have a beautiful colour, do you know if they are made out of local gold? If i remember correctly you have gold occurrence in Wales but not in Leicester?
Again big congrats, stunning Stater!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo! Congrats to Crudad and to you with your coin score! Many of these Stater have a beautiful colour, do you know if they are made out of local gold? If i remember correctly you have gold occurrence in Wales but not in Leicester?
Again big congrats, stunning Stater!
I think without science it's pretty hard to say if it was from Wales or traded in via the Romans. They did melt down lots of Roman Coins for hundreds of years, so hard to tell.
We actually have one almost fully coated copper-core, & 1 copper-core with no gold left of this particular type. A fairly new book on the study of Iceni coinage concluded that these period coins were made to trade in a way that wasn't previously considered. Arguing that there was indeed a kind of monetary system. Although, I still believe it was more at the higher levels, these contemporary fakes proves they were trying to fool people into an unfair trade.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a Cru post up! Congratulations to your Dad on the beautiful Stater, what crisp looking strike. Roman? That picture is just drooling crazy. You had a really good day. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread