May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(yesterdays finds - due to time taken cataloging them)
Now we are getting back into our stride.:thumbsup:
The day started slow with the first Roman Site a oilseed rape stalk field being a bust after a 30 minute raid.
We were still in scouting mode & tried an un-searched field with no intel, but I had a hunch it should produce medieval, & we are really low on hammered this year (might end up our lowest), so it was worth a shot. At the 2 hour point we had lots of averages finds & some good indicators that with some further gridding a hammered may show. I also had 1 random Roman Coin on the way back to the car. So its on the future hit list, just not at the top.
Although I've been holding back on the 2nd half of the Roman Mansio Site until conditions improve, I reluctantly agreed it was our next best bet, so we moved. On the way there we drove past some of our favourite set of fields that were deeply ploughed recently. Cru'dad had only just been told they would not be graded down from ankle breaks for another week, but they already looked better. We drove in & saw that they had been graded down to a knobbly but workable state, that brighten my mood until we got around to Brooch Field & saw it was still not done, but as luck would have it the tractor was just finishing Copse Field.:headbang:
Due to the healing process Cru'dad watched me for 2 hours; 8 coins in the 1st hour, 14 in the next. He then made his move, he detected with me for less then 10 minutes & dug that lovely gold shiner, in fact it was the only keeper he had that hour which is strange because I was picking 1 in every 5 off the top.:icon_scratch:

2nd Field (2 Hours);
Will III near blank Shilling
2 Medieval Buckles
Broken Tudor Clothes Fastener
Various coins & buttons.

Copse Field (4 Hours for me, 1 hour for Cru'Dad);

Victorian Iron Key
Roman Brooch
Iron Age Fibula
37 Roman Bronze Coins - A few I need in pretty good nick.8-)
1 Roman Silver Debased coin
Circa 30BC South Ferriby Type Gold Stater:hello2:

It also just happen to be our best 1 day total for Roman Coins this year.

Let the games begin.:metaldetector:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think without science it's pretty hard to say if it was from Wales or traded in via the Romans. They did melt down lots of Roman Coins for hundreds of years, so hard to tell.
We actually have one almost fully coated copper-core, & 1 copper-core with no gold left of this particular type. A fairly new book on the study of Iceni coinage concluded that these period coins were made to trade in a way that wasn't previously considered. Arguing that there was indeed a kind of monetary system. Although, I still believe it was more at the higher levels, these contemporary fakes proves they were trying to fool people into an unfair trade.:thumbsup:

Nice find Crusader, but I disagree with your last statement , like many others in past your country sent centuries trying to turn base metal into a noble metal called Alchemy or just witchcraft .

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Gold speaks in all languages since the beginning of time and all knew what it was. Why would any culture give up wealth from trade for a small gain .None would Those few that made fakes would have been killed off by their own. Your country has always needed trade to get what didnot have .Care to enlighten me more on.Assuming other ancient cultures where stupid is just not fact . TInpan

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would have fainted. Crazy the stuff you guys find! Thousands of years worth of history! Thanks for sharing!

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phenomenal hunt, Crusader, thank you for sharing, it's all a treat to see! The Roman coins are just beautiful. Also, huge congrats to your Dad on the Ferriby type gold Stater. You two killed it yet again, congratulations. :occasion14:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Congrats!! CruDad must have been just sitting there waiting to make his move. :D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Gold speaks in all languages since the beginning of time and all knew what it was. Why would any culture give up wealth from trade for a small gain .None would Those few that made fakes would have been killed off by their own. Your country has always needed trade to get what didnot have .Care to enlighten me more on.Assuming other ancient cultures where stupid is just not fact . TInpan
Where do you get that I 'assumed' our ancient culture was stupid? Complete opposite we had some of the best metal workers in the whole of Europe going way back into the Bronze Age. Our Bronze Age people made fine gold objects in a period when only a hand-full could.
If you can come up with a theory as to why we find some gold plated copper-cores that doesn't include fooling others, then that only really leaves ritual activity.
Why would one of the leading Celtic Coin Experts use words like 'contemporary forgery'?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In answer to WHY;
Because the Brits like Wine, they drunk it straight & never watered it down. Its well documented by the Romans that we traded for wine & olive oil etc. Our Culture likes big feasts (food) & parties during religious festivals & to show the power of the elite, it brought the people together & made for a strong community. The Celts were one of the most advanced Social structures existing, in some ways we have gone backwards.
Why use gold (Most of the workers can't eat it, it doesn't keep you warm, it doesn't get you water, unless you trade - however most just bartered other goods & services);
Pay mercenaries
Pay for food/wine (that this Country doesn't produce)
Use for ritual activity
Use at high levels for Political persuasion
Plus lots of other unknown reasons.

But that fact of the matter is that the larger %age of the community never handled it in the way that we think of money today. Metal Workers were thought to have magical powers, & the skill was only past from father to son. (Although in their social structure it may have been the daughter as well, we don't know)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lastly if you know Aussie history then you know very well what your native population did with Gold; helped the 'whites/outsiders/who ever' find it, including the most important thing - watering holes, they had little interest other than in getting a good trade for things they did want. Not saying the Brits had no interest, but its a parallel as to whats important in an Ancient Culture - living off the land in harmony.(respecting the land - something we are now bad at)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Stater is a work of art. Congrats to your padre, and to you for an excellent outing yourself.

Making "epic" look "easy" once again.

Agreed.

Well done.. AGAIN.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Stater is a work of art. Congrats to your padre, and to you for an excellent outing yourself.

Making "epic" look "easy" once again.

We are still aiming for ''epic'' who knows we may make it one day, until then we will grid-on.:thumbsup:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont use the word "epic"... you may feel you have reached the top with no where else to go... and stop detecting.

Cant have that. :P

Ehhh what the hell... ok ok... It really was an EPIC hunt. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets add a few more...

Stellar... Phenomenal... remarkable, exceptional, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, unbelievable; marvelous, magnificent, wonderful, outstanding, singular, out of the ordinary, unusual, unprecedented...

And.... fantastic, terrific, tremendous, stupendous, awesome... and last but not least...

wondrous. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait...

I forgot the most important one...

BANNER.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets add a few more...

Stellar... Phenomenal... remarkable, exceptional, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, unbelievable; marvelous, magnificent, wonderful, outstanding, singular, out of the ordinary, unusual, unprecedented...

And.... fantastic, terrific, tremendous, stupendous, awesome... and last but not least...

wondrous. :)
Funny because me 20 years ago would have said the same things. In reality nothing this good happens without years of experience, plenty of time detecting, or complete fluke.

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like reading your posts. I would love to detect some places with that history.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just amazing.
What in your finds would be the equivalent to our clad (US Modern coins)?
I see many post of foreign coins found and have always wondered what you all look at as modern accross the pond.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread