Crude Plummet

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Afternoon,

I have a few plummets and this is a crudely made or unfinished one.

Item: Plummet

Material: Hematite

Recovery: Poverty Point

Length: 4 "

Some of the more crudely made plummets are not only incompletely polished but are also undrilled. Not only is there crude finish work here, from the side views, you can see the symetry is poor also. The material is very high grade hematite. From the same site, there are some plummets of excellent manufacture.

From the hours of labor invested in these artifacts, crude or not, I doubt they were bolo weights as some may postulate. I certainly wouldn't have thrown my set of three connected by hide strings or braids off into the woods to try to entangle some dinner. I'd have lost them!

The earthworks at Poverty Point are huge, some of the biggest in the Western Hemisphere. These plummets might have been used to establish plumb lines used in the building of the earthworks. When you see a really nicely made one, it leaves you thinking that no one would take too much of a chance loosing something like that throwing it at game.

Not all are fabricated from hematite; some are made from beautiful varigated red jasper and some from sandstone. The reader should keep in mind that the Poverty Point culture (late archaic) was the seat of the lapidary industry at the time. Many finely made beads and other items have come from this place. Some are made like owls and others like parakeets. Though no longer found in this area, Louisiana had a parakeet population even in very early historic times.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 425
  • P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 419
  • P1010080.JPG
    P1010080.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 414
  • P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I like it. Its a big one 4 incher I'd be happy to find one with a hole in it. Hematite is some heavy hard stuff, so if I find anything made of it I'm happy. I always wondered if the real polished perfect ones were worn around the neck. It sure seems they put a lot of work into a fishing weight or snare rock. What are your thoughts? I really like it, and thanks for putting it on. P.s If you want to see some crude plummets, or unfinished ones I got a couple. Nice plummet. John Thanks for resizing just geese

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Thanks "just-geese" for the re-size.

Flintfinder, I'll be back to you a little later on your question.

Thanks to the both of you,

spot

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Afternoon,

Hi Flintfinder. I think there is little if any doubt that the better made plummets had purpose beyond bolas. As you noted, suspension from the neck may have been a manner used to display the better ones. I have a large straight stemmed archaic point that a later Indian altered (the base)so it could be suspended. Also, the better made plummets may have been used for the most important jobs of establishing an item as "plumb".

I am unfamiliar with any depictions of plummets on any other objects that would shed light on their original use.

I am fortunate to own a couple of pretty good ones that I'll post when I get a few extra minutes.

Thanks for looking,

spot

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Sorry Spot, I should have read all the post. It sounds like we are on the same page on this. I would welcome and really enjoy hearing from some of you guy/gals that have found a plummet. It is something you will never forget. Good post Spot. John P.S this could be a real informative post.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
spot said:
Afternoon,

I have a few plummets and this is a crudely made or unfinished one.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Very nice plummet spot.

It may not be symmetrical but it is far from being crude. I would be quite happy finding one like that.

11KBP

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks finished to me and has wear on the lower end. Some of them barely have grooves no less a nice drilled hole, which also shows wear to me. A sweet one, no hematite in FL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread