Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely not...they ask that they be washed or cleaned as the corroded coins will plug up their coin counter...same with Coinstar, they will reject them...and you're back at square one...5 gallon bucket with vinegar and water...soak, swish around, rinse, repeat...sounds like a lot of work, but hey...playing with your money is half the fun! Ddf

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do what I do....
Wrap them up, bring them to your bank, deposit them into your savings account.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have had several of them savings accounts around the country but I can't remember. Anyway, yea, clean them up and try or just deposit in an account and let the bank take care of it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a rock tumbler with lemon juice and a few tablespoons of salt to clean my coins. Use the concoction to do your nickels, dimes and quarters, then reuse the same solution to clean your copper and zinc pennies. I roll my clad and deposit in my hobby account at the end of the year. The pennies will get cashed at the nearest coinstar. I still have all my copper and zincs from last season. What gets rejected by the coinstar will be put in baby food jars and buried throughout the county in public spots that get detected heavily. Hopefully future MDers will dig one up and get in touch with me.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running my clad and pennies through coin counting machines like coinstars since I started back in the hobby ten years ago and have never had an issue with any machine jamming or clogging. Clad coins regardless of their color will go through a coin star or other coin counting machine just fine. Just make sure you have given them a rinse to get any dirt off. Pennies will go through too unless they are disintegrating - I usually just separate those out and either spend them or toss them.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add a little Tequila and you won't care what your coins look like.
I use a rock tumbler with lemon juice and a few tablespoons of salt to clean my coins. Use the concoction to do your nickels, dimes and quarters, then reuse the same solution to clean your copper and zinc pennies. I roll my clad and deposit in my hobby account at the end of the year. The pennies will get cashed at the nearest coinstar. I still have all my copper and zincs from last season. What gets rejected by the coinstar will be put in baby food jars and buried throughout the county in public spots that get detected heavily. Hopefully future MDers will dig one up and get in touch with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread