πŸ₯‡ BANNER CS buckle found in Goldsboro, NC this past weekend!!!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, after detecting around Goldsboro for 26 years, I struck it big with this CS buckle. All 3 hooks in the back are fully intact as you can see. What a thrill. I have emailed a couple different appraisers. I found it with the Fisher F-75 LTD and it was about 4" deep. The area was a known Union soldier encampment. Thanks

Attachments

• picurts 030.JPG
    picurts 030.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 721
  • picurts 026.JPG
    picurts 026.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 615
  • picurts 027.JPG
    picurts 027.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 77

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the verdigris on that beautiful CS buckle, congratulations on making the BANNER! :occasion14:

Dave

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the nice comments and putting my find on the BANNER. I sure never thought I would be there. Perseverence and just keep at it and one day it might happen. Now, if I could just find ONE more..... (we are never satisfied as mere men are we :dontknow:). Bryan

Aug 28, 2015
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus llb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy for you on your great find. I am from your area and know quite a bit about the buckle that you recently recovered. I am quite sure that you do as well by now. I can almost guarantee you of how the CS Army of Tennessee plate came to be where you recovered it as well. I am again probably telling you something that you already know. I am 95% sure that it was removed as a souvenir from a captured or killed soldier from the recently fought battle of Bentonville, NC. It is not the first Confederate plate recovered in the union camps located here after the battle. I also know that no Army of Tennessee units never camped in the area of your discovery but were at the battle! I would like to share with you more if you wish. I am the Chairman of the area's historical association and also heading up the current "Downtown Goldsboro Artifact Recovery Project" for the city. Check it out.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Carolina. Always interesting to find out more about a find. He found a dream find!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Kirk. I am aware of the history of the buckle. Patrick ******, a friend of yours and mine, have spoken quite a bit about this buckle and he filled me in on the history, as have several other friends. Definitely the find of a lifetime.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on the buckle,some reb lost his belt for sure.Probably ended up with a rope one if he lived....

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the nice comments. I have been back in the area of the buckle this past week and found a Dragoon eagle, Connecticut state seal and 2 eagle buttons. Yesterday, I found a cool Wilmington & Manchester RR tag.

Aug 28, 2015
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus llb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilligan, have you seen Patrick's CS buckle like yours? It is also beautiful and still has some of the enamel paint . I have not seen or talked to him in quite some time. I was taught the trade by a very good friend named Van Nunn in 1989. He also recovered one of these Army of Tennessee Buckles at Bentonville. He was one of the early relic hunters beginning in the late 1960's. He was credited with recovering 34 plates. His best was a CSA (no periods) sardine can buckle (9+ rarity scale of 10). He is gone now but not forgotten! I am left with many hunting memories. Thank you Vann!

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk, I did stop by Patrick's home and he showed me his 2 CS buckles and all of the rest of his finds. Stunning. I had not heard of Van, but years ago I spoke with Vernon Capps, back in 1989.

Gilligan, have you seen Patrick's CS buckle like yours? It is also beautiful and still has some of the enamel paint . I have not seen or talked to him in quite some time. I was taught the trade by a very good friend named Van Nunn in 1989. He also recovered one of these Army of Tennessee Buckles at Bentonville. He was one of the early relic hunters beginning in the late 1960's. He was credited with recovering 34 plates. His best was a CSA (no periods) sardine can buckle (9+ rarity scale of 10). He is gone now but not forgotten! I am left with many hunting memories. Thank you Vann!

Aug 28, 2015
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus llb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilligan, Yes Patrick has quite a nice collection. We did some hunting together back in the day. Van Nunn was one of the original pioneers to hunt our area and was one of the first to hit Bentonville. In the early 1990's, he shared with me many of his adventures into the swampy, brier infested woods of Bentonville back in the early 1970's. I also heard him say many times that he wished that he had not sold the 34 plates that he recovered there. Most of them were sold to Vernon Capps. You probably saw many of them in Vernon's collection. I know that you are considering selling your recent find. I will not think less of you if you decide to do so. I do ask that you allow me to see it before you do. I would like to take pictures of it as an artifact of our city's history and occupation by General Sherman's army. That way I can officially record and log it in the museum as your recovery. Once an artifact is sold, it tends to lose it's provenience. I would hate to see this happen to such a fine artifact. Please contact me at 919-739-6815 if possible.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the great comments on here. I have been off T-net for quite a while. I just wanted to pass on that I found a Block C button, Courtney & Hinnant backmark. What an incredible find that was! I found it in the same area about 2 months ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit that area hard. I have a buckle like the one you dug, but it was purchased. They are really nice pieces.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly have hit it hard, and will continue to. I know there is more there. Thanks!

Hit that area hard. I have a buckle like the one you dug, but it was purchased. They are really nice pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread