CS tongue buckle from this weekend(Had to change the title after ID)

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Attachments

• scan005.jpg
    scan005.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,400
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Some stuff from today

Newt said:
And it was found at a homesite! THX.
Newt

What's odd about that? :wink: ;D

Two Confederate buckles on here this week. I'm going out tomorrow to try and beat the odds and find the rest of mine. Sounds like you need to get back there and find the wreath. Always a crapshoot to find the other half of any buckle at any site... I'm just stoked that yours said "CS" on it. And I agree that even broken it is a Banner find.

BRAVO. :thumbsup:

Now change the title of this thread. ;D

-Buck

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

nice old buckle there too as well --top notch finding 1/2 of a cs civil war buckle * find the other 1/2 really cool --- great finds overall in my book

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
A Haiman Style C.S. tongue......

I think you need to post it in a fashion and/or place that people in the know can appreciate your fine artifact.

That is much better than "nice find".

Time to read some reference materials. Best not to dig up marked Confederate central government issued pieces without ABSOLUTELY KNOWING IMMEDIATELY what they are. It does say "C.S." after all, and that is one strong clue.

:D

I agree with being able to identify.  It's most of the reason I joined this site in the first place.  On my buckle post from yesterday--one member said he didn't know where to start--that it all looked like junk to him.  Fortunately most of us move past the "I bought my detector at Wal-Mart" stage quickly--and those that are skilled enough to make good finds start to realize that they need to know as much as they can. :wink:

Study up!  Detecting demands something of us--in order for us to be better at what we do.  (And also so we don't happen to throw away valuable finds!)  It ain't all about knowing how to swing a coil correctly, as some of our illustrious "trade axe" finding friends could probably stand to learn... :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

plehbah said:

I think you need to post it in a fashion and/or place that people in the know can appreciate your fine artifact.

Time to read some reference materials. Best not to dig up marked Confederate central government issued pieces without ABSOLUTELY KNOWING IMMEDIATELY what they are. It does say "C.S." after all, and that is one strong clue.

I was excited but not sure about the ID. It looked like a G more than a C. After researching a bit, it's the only one i've seen with letters like that.
Newt

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

River Rat said:
W :o W!! Man, oh man that's some fantastic finds. What is the big boxed thing, a cigarette tin? Whatever it is, it's sure neat looking.

:wink: RR
I think it might be. The other side is gone but probably not far away.
Newt

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

BuckleBoy said:
Newt said:
And it was found at a homesite! THX.
Newt

What's odd about that? :wink: ;D

Two Confederate buckles on here this week. I'm going out tomorrow to try and beat the odds and find the rest of mine. Sounds like you need to get back there and find the wreath. Always a crapshoot to find the other half of any buckle at any site... I'm just stoked that yours said "CS" on it. And I agree that even broken it is a Banner find.

BRAVO. :thumbsup:

Now change the title of this thread. ;D

-Buck

Title changed.
I wish i had gotten some in-situ pics. It was under some iris plants.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet tongue! Most of us will never find anything like that but... we will keep trying! Congrats!
Mike

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

plehbah said:

Lighten up....Have another drink.

L

lovedigging

Newt, GREAT FIND :thumbsup: I'm still dreaming of the day I find my first CS BUCKLE!!!! I agree with Everyone else that it's definitely a "BANNER" find as well as well as Hill Billy's comment about plehbah having another drink. :wink: Get back out there and find the wreath...

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Ya'll are getting me excited!
After 20 years detectin'(and college)-Maybe I need some continuing education.
Newt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
Ya'll are getting me excited!
After 20 years detectin'(and college)-Maybe I need some continuing education.
Newt

Isn't detecting already "continuing education"? :wink:

I've hunted with ya before, Newt--and I have nothing but respect for you. I've needed help IDing lots of stuff I found.

Regards,

Buckleboy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Great find!!! I'm not 100% sure on the attrib though.. the letters look really close but the loop is different.. I would say it is a different variation.. but then again.. what do I know??? My only Confederate buckles are a medium fork and a rifle sling... The belt loop is plain.. not ornately cast like the one pictured..

Again.. outstanding find!!!! :-)

MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions