CS tongue buckle from this weekend(Had to change the title after ID)

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Attachments

• scan005.jpg
    scan005.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,400
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
plehbah said:
tcooper1 said:
Newt, GREAT FIND :thumbsup: I'm still dreaming of the day I find my first CS BUCKLE!!!! I agree with Everyone else that it's definitely a "BANNER" find as well as well as Hill Billy's comment about plehbah having another drink. :wink: Get back out there and find the wreath...

Thanks to your constructive criticisms, I am now at what I hope is the zenith of another bender that began with my mouthwash, and promises to end in some circus resembling some catastrophe resembling the singularity.

I did however vote.

I am merely proposing proactive learning in our respective areas of detecting interest. I would like to encourage all of the fine ladies and not so fine gentlemen of metal detecting to learn about the history of their finds. This includes being familiar with the material culture of the American Civil War before you go searching every weekend for it with a metal detector.

In this day, everyone that posts here has access to the internet, and this makes this sort of proactive research easy. I chose to post my opinions on this particular thread because this is an obvious example of an obvious example- this is the fabled Haiman brothers cast brass C.S. tongue. It is all over reference materials and the internet. It exhibits an obvious composition and construction which are typical of many artifacts of the era.

Put it this way, if you invest a little precious time in doing some research in a few books and on the internet beforehand, you know a little about at least the very basics, and you appreciate your metal detecting experience that much more as you better understand the function and identification of the recovered items, and also can begin to formulate ideas about what was going on, and develop better and more productive search strategies.

I guess I am just painfully becoming aware of the difference between metal detector enthusiasts and treasure hunters.

My stance on proactive research and learning, and embarrassing gaffes concerning Confederate relics of lore, that will never change. I am not in criticism of any individual, I am looking at a way of thinking about our role in the history of these things.

plehbah

Understood.

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I just like finding stuff and sharing it with everyone.
No problems here. I appreciate the kind words from everyone.
Newt

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Re: Some stuff from today

BuckleBoy said:
plehbah said:
A Haiman Style C.S. tongue......

I think you need to post it in a fashion and/or place that people in the know can appreciate your fine artifact.

That is much better than "nice find".

Time to read some reference materials. Best not to dig up marked Confederate central government issued pieces without ABSOLUTELY KNOWING IMMEDIATELY what they are. It does say "C.S." after all, and that is one strong clue.

:D

I agree with being able to identify. It's most of the reason I joined this site in the first place. On my buckle post from yesterday--one member said he didn't know where to start--that it all looked like junk to him. Fortunately most of us move past the "I bought my detector at Wal-Mart" stage quickly--and those that are skilled enough to make good finds start to realize that they need to know as much as they can. :wink:

Study up! Detecting demands something of us--in order for us to be better at what we do. (And also so we don't happen to throw away valuable finds!) It ain't all about knowing how to swing a coil correctly, as some of our illustrious "trade axe" finding friends could probably stand to learn... :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Anyone in particular come to mind? ;D

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
man thats the half I have been looking for this year! I found the other half last year in a yard about 2 inches down...... the whole thing is worth around 3000 bucks, or so I have been told.... if I can ever find the half you have, in tact, im in business LOL Congrats man!

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
minton7 said:
man thats the half I have been looking for this year! I found the other half last year in a yard about 2 inches down...... the whole thing is worth around 3000 bucks, or so I have been told.... if I can ever find the half you have, in tact, im in business LOL Congrats man!

$1000 for 3/4 of one? Just paypal me and it's yours.LOL
Newt

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Ohio Jerry said:
BuckleBoy said:
plehbah said:

I think you need to post it in a fashion and/or place that people in the know can appreciate your fine artifact.

Time to read some reference materials. Best not to dig up marked Confederate central government issued pieces without ABSOLUTELY KNOWING IMMEDIATELY what they are. It does say "C.S." after all, and that is one strong clue.

I agree with being able to identify. It's most of the reason I joined this site in the first place. On my buckle post from yesterday--one member said he didn't know where to start--that it all looked like junk to him. Fortunately most of us move past the "I bought my detector at Wal-Mart" stage quickly--and those that are skilled enough to make good finds start to realize that they need to know as much as they can. :wink:

Study up! Detecting demands something of us--in order for us to be better at what we do. (And also so we don't happen to throw away valuable finds!) It ain't all about knowing how to swing a coil correctly, as some of our illustrious "trade axe" finding friends could probably stand to learn... :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

We've hunted together and he was stating that as advice, not out of criticism.I hope you enjoyed the topic too.
Newt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Newt said:
Ohio Jerry said:
BuckleBoy said:
plehbah said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

We've hunted together and he was stating that as advice, not out of criticism.I hope you enjoyed the topic too.
Newt

Sorry Newt--I think you took that the wrong way. There's a back-story there that's between Jerry and Myself, and it will probably not get told on Tnet anytime soon.

Sometimes life's lessons are tough ones.

Regards,

Buckles

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Newt,I can see where the "C" could be mistaken for a "G". That's an awesome find and I agree with Iron Patch,that's a banner find. Congratulations!
Jerry

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
tcooper1 said:
Newt, GREAT FIND :thumbsup: I'm still dreaming of the day I find my first CS BUCKLE!!!! I agree with Everyone else that it's definitely a "BANNER" find as well as well as Hill Billy's comment about plehbah having another drink. :wink: Get back out there and find the wreath...

Thanks to your constructive criticisms, I am now at what I hope is the zenith of another bender that began with my mouthwash, and promises to end in some circus resembling some catastrophe resembling the singularity.

I did however vote.

I am merely proposing proactive learning in our respective areas of detecting interest. I would like to encourage all of the fine ladies and not so fine gentlemen of metal detecting to learn about the history of their finds. This includes being familiar with the material culture of the American Civil War before you go searching every weekend for it with a metal detector.

In this day, everyone that posts here has access to the internet, and this makes this sort of proactive research easy. I chose to post my opinions on this particular thread because this is an obvious example of an obvious example- this is the fabled Haiman brothers cast brass C.S. tongue. It is all over reference materials and the internet. It exhibits an obvious composition and construction which are typical of many artifacts of the era.

Put it this way, if you invest a little precious time in doing some research in a few books and on the internet beforehand, you know a little about at least the very basics, and you appreciate your metal detecting experience that much more as you better understand the function and identification of the recovered items, and also can begin to formulate ideas about what was going on, and develop better and more productive search strategies.

I guess I am just painfully becoming aware of the difference between metal detector enthusiasts and treasure hunters.

My stance on proactive research and learning, and embarrassing gaffes concerning Confederate relics of lore, that will never change. I am not in criticism of any individual, I am looking at a way of thinking about our role in the history of these things.

plehbah

Bearing all this mind, why pick on me? For I have a far greater range of artefacts to learn & study. I do it to the best of my abilities. I'm not clever & have no letters after my name. Just a passion for history & research which consumes most of my time when I'm not detecting. Why don't you get off your high horse & treat people with the respect that they deserve. Maybe if you got out & posted some of YOUR finds it might chill you out a bit, but I have little hope for you changing your ways.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Great and intresting relic. This is something you wouldn´t see every day. B-anner!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:
tcooper1 said:

I did however vote.

plehbah

Bearing all this mind, why pick on me? For I have a far greater range of artefacts to learn & study. I do it to the best of my abilities. I'm not clever & have no letters after my name. Just a passion for history & research which consumes most of my time when I'm not detecting. Why don't you get off your high horse & treat people with the respect that they deserve. Maybe if you got out & posted some of YOUR finds it might chill you out a bit, but I have little hope for you changing your ways.

OMG...it's not even winter yet and you guys are starting. At least wait until January when there's no hope of diggin' to entertain us with your bickering. :P ::)

When I dug my first large cent, I had no clue what it was. How could I possibly be knowlegable about every item that I dig BEFORE it comes out of the ground? It IS a learning process....and now Newt has been schooled on his fantastic find.

Great job, Newt. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
OMG...it's not even winter yet and you guys are starting.  At least wait until January when there's no hope of diggin' to entertain us with your bickering.    :P ::)

My team and I WILL be hunting and posting in January--even if we have to use a chisel and take the frozen chunks back home to thaw.  :P  I'll try and make sure you fine folks have some eye candy so you don't go nuts.  ;D

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread