CTX 3030 Covers?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased my second CTX and I wanted some opinions on the covers. I have purchased 2 different brands of screen covers and I can't hardly read through them and I bought a battery box cover and it wore through the first year of use because it was too thin.

I would like to know if anyone has extensive experience with any of the aftermarket CTX covers and screen protectors and also if anyone has used a cloth shaft protector. -Thanks.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Pointman, I bought Armoursuit screen protector made for a tablet and cut it to size. There is enough product for 8 screen protectors there, and was 9 dollar delivered off of Amazon.
I cut it exactly with a paper cutter, the kind with a small surface with measurements and a rotary cutter going along the side. Not sure I could have been exact with scissors.

For the shaft, I got a roll of Freehawk self adhesive non-woven camouflage tape wrap. 6 dollars, and it works great. I will probably have to keep a few spare rolls around, but it looks like one roll will last for several months of hard use.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one's I have found are on e bay. Been looking at them but wishing minelab would make some as the one I have on the safari is nice. Where did you get the ones you used?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For screen protectors, buy a tablet sized one from ZAGG and then cut it to fit. Because the CTX has the recessed screen, you can't use a single, large sheet. ZAGGs are hands down the best cover I have seen I put one on my handheld GPS before I went to Iraq and I carried that thing in my pocket almost every day for over a year. It never came loose (It's still on 9 years later!) and it took all the abuse the desert and I could give it. I can still see through almost perfectly, and certainly no need to replace it. After it's performance there, I bought one for my E-Trac as soon as I got it and it was still great 5 years later. Last CTX had a ZAGG cover, and I have one en-route for CTX #2.

I'm still divided on using enviro covers for the detector. Part of me says it's silly on a waterproof machine, part of me wants to keep my little silver slayer as nice as possible. I haven't found any I like with good reviews yet though.

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For screen protectors, buy a tablet sized one from ZAGG and then cut it to fit. Because the CTX has the recessed screen, you can't use a single, large sheet. ZAGGs are hands down the best cover I have seen I put one on my handheld GPS before I went to Iraq and I carried that thing in my pocket almost every day for over a year. It never came loose (It's still on 9 years later!) and it took all the abuse the desert and I could give it. I can still see through almost perfectly, and certainly no need to replace it. After it's performance there, I bought one for my E-Trac as soon as I got it and it was still great 5 years later. Last CTX had a ZAGG cover, and I have one en-route for CTX #2.

I'm still divided on using enviro covers for the detector. Part of me says it's silly on a waterproof machine, part of me wants to keep my little silver slayer as nice as possible. I haven't found any I like with good reviews yet though.

I see you recommend the tablet size, but which of the three choices did you use. The least expensive says it was for military grade. Looks like a perfect fit for what I would like!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you recommend the tablet size, but which of the three choices did you use. The least expensive says it was for military grade. Looks like a perfect fit for what I would like!

I have always used the originals.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is the information I was seeking. I bought two different CTX covers for the screen and I can't hardly see out of either of them, especially when they get a layer of dust on them. I am thinking perhaps I could get one of those canvas covers and cut out the clear plastic and use a Zagg screen saver. This way I am able to protect the display from bumps and still be able to see the screen clearly as well.

I am looking at ordering a complete lower rod, upper rod/box cover and display cover from Pro-tectors out of the UK. They have good reviews and seem well made. I purchased thin cover for my CTX from Russia years ago for around $40 and it wore through in 6 months. I was looking at the one made by Doc's Detecting, but it looks like it doesn't fit well on the display. The only thing I like about his is the bottom looks reinforced to keep the legs from wearing through. The other thing I don't like is the price. The Doc's brand is $109 and doesn't have the lower shaft or upper shaft cover and the one from the UK has complete coverage and it is around $80 shipped.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use one on my 3030, screen scratches easily so I protect it...

By the way Jason, I didn't know or I forgot your a vet, thank you for your service....

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my zagg today. Got it from wally world and saved almost 10 bucks! :thumb_up:

This looks great, I did have a couple small scratches on the screen from the previous owner which I can now Not See! Thanks for the advise! :occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my zagg today. Got it from wally world and saved almost 10 bucks! :thumb_up:

This looks great, I did have a couple small scratches on the screen from the previous owner which I can now Not See! Thanks for the advise! :occasion14:

I didnt realize wally sold them. I guess they are back in computer section?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John - I have Doc's covers on my GPZ 7000 and the fit is good.... but the cover will be long in the area of the battery on a CTX 3030. He had them made for the 7000 which is of course similar but the rear module where the battery mounts is slightly longer than the one on the CTX 3030.

The WM module cover is nice though!

Hope that helps.

This is the information I was seeking. I bought two different CTX covers for the screen and I can't hardly see out of either of them, especially when they get a layer of dust on them. I am thinking perhaps I could get one of those canvas covers and cut out the clear plastic and use a Zagg screen saver. This way I am able to protect the display from bumps and still be able to see the screen clearly as well.

I am looking at ordering a complete lower rod, upper rod/box cover and display cover from Pro-tectors out of the UK. They have good reviews and seem well made. I purchased thin cover for my CTX from Russia years ago for around $40 and it wore through in 6 months. I was looking at the one made by Doc's Detecting, but it looks like it doesn't fit well on the display. The only thing I like about his is the bottom looks reinforced to keep the legs from wearing through. The other thing I don't like is the price. The Doc's brand is $109 and doesn't have the lower shaft or upper shaft cover and the one from the UK has complete coverage and it is around $80 shipped.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John - I have Doc's covers on my GPZ 7000 and the fit is good.... but the cover will be long in the area of the battery on a CTX 3030. He had them made for the 7000 which is of course similar but the rear module where the battery mounts is slightly longer than the one on the CTX 3030.

The WM module cover is nice though!

Hope that helps.

Keith,

I went out to Ebay per some folk's advice looking for covers and typed in "CTX detector covers" and one from Doc's showed up in a few listings for $109. Of course I knew you handled the brand for the GPX and I went to your site to check and see if you carried them. I would be curious on any first hand and KNOWLEDGEABLE experience/observations on these covers. I mean knowledgeable, because I don't like purchasing from just anyone on Ebay when it comes to detecting equipment. I would hope that they aren't selling GPZ covers and listing them as CTX covers on Ebay. They might be because they didn't look like they fit well in the pictures.

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John -

I sent our demo CTX 3030 to the SC show last weekend, it is with our new sales consultant in VA and isn't back to PA yet. When I get it here, I will get you some good pictures of Doc's covers installed on the CTX.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt realize wally sold them. I guess they are back in computer section?

Check online, I got the Ipad Air, $10 cheaper online, the store had marked it 29 got it for 19. They do that a lot from what I have seen! :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pointman, I am going to try one of these covers from the Ukraine. There are 3 different people making them from Ukraine BTW. I bought one for an Explorer from that I liked very much because the fit was very good and the material was thin which made it feel like it wasn't in the way. I had a set of neoprene ProTector covers for my last CTX but I did not like them at all due to how thick they were and the fit was not that good.

I have one of Doc's covers for the SDC 2300 and it is very well made but I don't
really like the way his cover for the CTX fits the control and there is not cover over the handle portion of the machine.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252261139603

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I like this one better because of the zipper on the rear for battery access and I will probably just use a Zagg screen protector on upper part of control instead of the cover.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172072630251

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Jenson, last time I bought a cover from them was 14 months ago and their prices where 20-25% cheaper...

Maybe they are surfing on their success. I have to mention that the quality price ratio at this time was just unbelievable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread