Ctx 3030 Repair

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My CTX took in some water a few months back in some rough seas. It shorted but came back to life when I put a fresh battery pack on. Last month the function buttons stopped responding correctly, so I contacted ML.

Very impressive service, they paid for shipping. And I just received there Repair assessment below. I love it when a company stands behind their product.

Email:
While inspecting your CTX 3030 for repair issues, we noticed the damage was beyond repair. The water ingress was not limited to the battery compartment, but extended into the U/I Display as well, the corrosion was far too extensive to repair properly. Your machine will be Warranty Replaced, expect an entire new CTX 3030 in the mail, in the very near future. The shipment should be in process shortly, and your waiting period should be brief. I thank you for your patience in this matter and should any questions arise, please feel free to contact me at the telephone number below in the signature line.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness Minelab is standing up for the CTX.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My CTX took in some water a few months back in some rough seas. It shorted but came back to life when I put a fresh battery pack on. Last month the function buttons stopped responding correctly, so I contacted ML.

Very impressive service, they paid for shipping. And I just received there Repair assessment below. I love it when a company stands behind their product.

Email:
While inspecting your CTX 3030 for repair issues, we noticed the damage was beyond repair. The water ingress was not limited to the battery compartment, but extended into the U/I Display as well, the corrosion was far too extensive to repair properly. Your machine will be Warranty Replaced, expect an entire new CTX 3030 in the mail, in the very near future. The shipment should be in process shortly, and your waiting period should be brief. I thank you for your patience in this matter and should any questions arise, please feel free to contact me at the telephone number below in the signature line.
All I can say is wow!
You must have the gift of persuasion (the touch) in dealing with the manufacturer.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Customer service like that will keep a customer for life.

slhinkle

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2007
ctx 3030 leaking

I have had my CTX 3030 since 9 4 12. It leaked within the first 60 days and I sent it in for repair. It was repaired and returned to me after 3 weeks. I took it to Aruba and it failed while I was in there. Upon my return I sent it in and it was replaced completely. Again it took two to three weeks to get the new unit. The next spring I had a similar problem again in the ocean and upon my return sent it back for warranty repairs and it was repplaced again and sent back. I just returned from St Martin where I was treasurer hunting for 2 weeks. The CTX leaked two times and ruined the alkaline battery and the rechargeable battery. So I was again out of business in a foreign country where i was planning to hunt and the CTX leaked. Each time I travel to you an exotic location to treasure hunt I take a back up. My Fisher CZ 21 with a lifetime warranty has never crapped out on me while at the beach whilr metal detecting in the ocean.. My CTX has every time. I have cleaned the gasket after every use as requested. Its bad engineering. The first water machine that was great was the Garrett at3 it developed leaking problems and Garrett went to the at4 and it leaked so Garrett took it off the market and only had the sea hunter pi til they came out with the at pro.
I can't fault the repairs or the warranty. Unfortunately when get on a first name basis wwith the service people its not a good thing. I have written to US minelab office and the Home Office in Australia. I am requesting they re engineer CTX and solve the leaking problem. I would recommend that any of you out in the field who had the same problem to do the same thing. Slh

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens when the warranty expires? Perhaps that is why I have seen a used one for $1700... If they were really good they wouldn't depreciate so fast...let's hope they don't give it a slight circuitry mod and rename it like the way they revamped the Quattro into the safari... A used CTX 3030 will sell for $1200 when they rename it the FRT 44/40...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens when the warranty expires? Perhaps that is why I have seen a used one for $1700... If they were really good they wouldn't depreciate so fast...let's hope they don't give it a slight circuitry mod and rename it like the way they revamped the Quattro into the safari... A used CTX 3030 will sell for $1200 when they rename it the FRT 44/40...

The resale value is just about normal..... Look at resale value of Excals and ETracs...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think today's "commercial" engineers realize the extent of what "waterproof" means to lot of us or the extent to which we will expose these new "waterproof" machines to. The military would probably be hard pressed to put them through harsher use. So I think when they say, "waterproof" that they should be thinking it terms of "industrial use" and not "light commercial use."

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think today's "commercial" engineers realize the extent of what "waterproof" means to lot of us or the extent to which we will expose these new "waterproof" machines to. The military would probably be hard pressed to put them through harsher use. So I think when they say, "waterproof" that they should be thinking it terms of "industrial use" and not "light commercial use."

Yeah, and they shouldn't hold water either.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good news on ML warranty service, I'm just worried about 2 1/2 years down the road and the same situation arises. I'm keeping mine out of salt surf for now.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
That's good news on ML warranty service, I'm just worried about 2 1/2 years down the road and the same situation arise. I'm keeping mine out of salt surf for now.

We have to give them some credit fletch because it's very hard to waterproof something that's made out of $12 worth of material

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Here we go again! I think a simple 20-30% larger o-ring would solve most of the battery leaking problems.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats great - unless you have to send it back...and then back again
my friends -friend ...has sent 3 back that have leaked so far

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Quattro soured me on Minelab land machines, especially now that I am looking to sell it! Today on EBay, no one bid on a Quattro with two coils in excellent condition and an opening bid of $395... For a detector that sold for over a thou, that sucks... A Tejon that sells new for under $600 will commonly sell on EBay for about $450... Understandable when you realize the Tejon is a better detector!

The CTX 3030 being sent back for nothing more than an O-ring makes no sense... The space shuttle was grounded until Nasa resolved the O-ring issue...I would think they would have sent all owners of this lemon a proper fitting o-ring if that was the issue! if the solution turns out to be that simple, I would have no faith in their engineers and technicians!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The O-Ring is only part of the problem.

While replacing the current O-ring with a 20-30% larger O-ring may appear simple, it is not.
The CTX 3030 is a heavy machine and Minelab has taken great effort to keep the weight down.
A wider O-ring will mean more weight since the control housing will have to beefed up and stronger hold down clamps
will be required. It is my opinion that the clamps are also problematic (not enough hold down pressure, flimsy)
If they were not, why would dealers recommend the use of a wide rubber band around them to prevent them from releasing,
while hunting.

Lol! Here we go again! I think a simple 20-30% larger o-ring would solve most of the battery leaking problems.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worked with many o-ring problems... Usually an engineer substituted a cheaper or theoretically better o-ring without testing... They order fatter, softer, harder, or more heat resistant o-rings that end up failing at a much higher rate! To try and save their now too big o-ring to fit the slot, they propose vaseline that picks up dust and grit that damages the surfaces the o-ring is trying to seal...
The problem I see is the one you always run into with an engineer designing a new product... Rather than using tried and true methods, he wants to change everything and reinvent the wheel or worse yet... It is design by committee and everyone wants to contribute... The good ideas shot down by those that haven't got a clue! It is wise to stay away from new product until it has been thoroughly tested by users!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Seal her up....my motto, have a IP68 charge port, totally seal off the main body to battery with Aquaseal, which can be peeled away to check once ever few months....working on for this fall, I use the same method on the Excalibur endcaps for extra insurance. Then all you have to worry about is the USB port and the PP boot cover....
I think. OBN0226.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like this approach for three reasons:

First - After cleaning, batteries should be removed from electron devices, to prevent damage if they leak and put back in before using.

Second - Seals should not remain compressed as they will deform over time. and loose their waterproof integrity.

Third - Unless you are able to remove all evidence of using Aquaseal, Minelab may refuse to do the repair under warranty.

QUOTE=OBN;4034271]Seal her up....my motto, have a IP68 charge port, totally seal off the main body to battery with Aquaseal, which can be peeled away to check once ever few months....working on for this fall, I use the same method on the Excalibur endcaps for extra insurance. Then all you have to worry about is the USB port and the PP boot cover....
I think. View attachment 1004168 [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread