Ctx 3030 Repair

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My CTX took in some water a few months back in some rough seas. It shorted but came back to life when I put a fresh battery pack on. Last month the function buttons stopped responding correctly, so I contacted ML.

Very impressive service, they paid for shipping. And I just received there Repair assessment below. I love it when a company stands behind their product.

Email:
While inspecting your CTX 3030 for repair issues, we noticed the damage was beyond repair. The water ingress was not limited to the battery compartment, but extended into the U/I Display as well, the corrosion was far too extensive to repair properly. Your machine will be Warranty Replaced, expect an entire new CTX 3030 in the mail, in the very near future. The shipment should be in process shortly, and your waiting period should be brief. I thank you for your patience in this matter and should any questions arise, please feel free to contact me at the telephone number below in the signature line.

Upvote 0

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
What happens when the warranty expires? Perhaps that is why I have seen a used one for $1700... If they were really good they wouldn't depreciate so fast...let's hope they don't give it a slight circuitry mod and rename it like the way they revamped the Quattro into the safari... A used CTX 3030 will sell for $1200 when they rename it the FRT 44/40...

seen a couple for less than that! can't figure it! supposed to be the greatest thing since rock and roll!
gotta practically "float a second mortgage" on the house to buy one new! all they really had to do
was sell it with the up graded circuitry for hunting ,and forget the "fluff" which just adds to the cost!
would have been lighter too at initial intro...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like this approach for three reasons

First - After cleaning, batteries should be removed from electron devices, to prevent damage if they leak and put back in before using.
I will check once every month for a while, then like my Fisher cz20 about ever 6 months. Like all new adventures you walk before you run.

Second - Seals should not remain compressed as they will deform over time. and loose their waterproof integrity.
I figure once all is working correct about ever 6 months should be sufficient, I have had sword excaliburs come thru at 20 years old and no issues on compressed seals, and they are buna, the CTX's are silicon.

Third - Unless you are able to remove all evidence of using Aquaseal, Minelab may refuse to do the repair under warranty.
That's the beauty of Aquaseal, it leaves no residue and will not mark the plastic unless you scrape it. I have been using Aquaseal on the endcaps of all excaliburs to seal the allen set screw and the gap between the endcap and pod. It's amazing, nothing like silicon, Aquaseal seals 100% but will peel right off, silicon you have to use a release agent and sometime scrape to remove any signs. This is all new, so there maybe deviations..even thinking LiPo....but have yet to find one that will fit....like all things I do, I kick them around for awhile, research, get some feed back like yours .....then when the time comes...it happens..:laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have written to US minelab office and the Home Office in Australia. I am requesting they re engineer CTX and solve the leaking problem. I would recommend that any of you out in the field who had the same problem to do the same thing. Slh

All they had to do was copy the Fisher CZ20/21 battery compartment design, You screw them tight and....they never leak, built like tanks...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread