locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX: TONE/FE-CO #'s/TARGET TRACE

I had an interesting experience with my CTX this weekend.

On my way back to the car, I got a good high tone signal. I was using the standard coin program. In disc. mode it showed a bouncy 12-37 to 12-42, in open mode 34-44 to 34-47. The target trace, clearly showed a ferrous target, next to a good one. My first thought was, a penny or dime, next to ferrous junk. I was tired, and didn't feel like digging a penny, but figured what the heck. When I pull back the plug sure enough there is a corroded piece of metal strapping. Instead of a penny or dime next to it, there was a 1944 silver quarter, STANDING ON EDGE! That explains the low fe-co number. It turned out that was my only decent target of the 1 hour hunt, and my first silver quarter in a very long time! The high tone, fe-co numbers, and target trace, still gave a pretty good account of themselves in an unusual situation. :)

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A flat silver quarter will hit around 11-13Fe / 45-47Co.

An on-edge silver quarter may hit around 04-08Fe / 48Co.

The high ferrous 34Fe would be the ferrous junk. The 45-48Co would be the quarter.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to watch your cursors, but more so listen for every sound, even short tiny ones. Usually when the sound is bouncing it means junk, but if you can get it to land a few times on a high signal (12.42 for example) it is best to dig. I have found a lot of coins on edge that only gave a signal in one direction.

If you can get a decent pinpoint and it sounds remotely good--dig.

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to watch your cursors, but more so listen for every sound, even short tiny ones. Usually when the sound is bouncing it means junk, but if you can get it to land a few times on a high signal (12.42 for example) it is best to dig. I have found a lot of coins on edge that only gave a signal in one direction.

If you can get a decent pinpoint and it sounds remotely good--dig.

I agree. I have had my CTX for a year now, audio tones are ALWAYS the primary indicator. Fe-co numbers are just an additional guide. The target trace ability to show multiple good and ferrous targets simultaneously is really useful, especially in situations as with the quarter. The ctx does seem to like rusty iron at times. It generally reads in the 34-44 to 34-46 range. At times the CTX can judge it as a more conductive target, reading the halo effect, I end up digging some nails and such, but, better to dig rather than miss a good one. Most times checking both disc. and open mode, will tip you off.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread