CTX Elliptical Coil Tek Coil

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my new CTX coil for two hunts. So far, I haven't seen very deep targets, but I have pulled some clad out of a very well hit lot where I had not been finding anything the last two hunts.

Seems like it has great separation capabilities like the 6" CTX coil, but the coverage that this coil lacked. On my last hunt, I tore it up in nickels. Before, I never found many nickels. I think that the coil just cleans up the lower signals enough to remind me to dig them.

I have to say it is one of my better peripheral purchases.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been really interested in this coil for a bit but have just not pulled the trigger. I am definitely intrigued by the target separation you mentioned. I also like that it is fully covered and will not snag as easily when detecting in foliage. I really like my ctx but have been itching for a better coil selection.

Thanks for the info - Koffee

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my new CTX coil for two hunts. So far, I haven't seen very deep targets, but I have pulled some clad out of a very well hit lot where I had not been finding anything the last two hunts.

Seems like it has great separation capabilities like the 6" CTX coil, but the coverage that this coil lacked. On my last hunt, I tore it up in nickels. Before, I never found many nickels. I think that the coil just cleans up the lower signals enough to remind me to dig them.

I have to say it is one of my better peripheral purchases.

Agreed! Coiltek hit a homerun with the Coiltek 10x5 CTX 3030 Coil | BigBoysHobbies

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think this may be a better coil for many as compared to the 6" - excellent separation but also better ground coverage at the same time.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think this may be a better coil for many as compared to the 6" - excellent separation but also better ground coverage at the same time.

I was wondering this just this morning. Is there a reason to own both Coils or will the Coiltec 10x5 replace the 6 in coil?

Cheers - Galen

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Less coil area mean less chance of multiple targets being under the coil at once. Unless it is extreme trash I would defer to the 5x10.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering this just this morning. Is there a reason to own both Coils or will the Coiltec 10x5 replace the 6 in coil?

Cheers - Galen

I think that it replaces the 6" and then some. The coil detection area is still narrow where it counts (side to side) giving you the separation that you need and the length keeps you from having to overlap as much.

You don't "swing your arm off" trying to get coverage as you do with the round 6" coil. I think using the small 6" in wide open areas is what has given me arm problems, and not due to the weight of the larger coils.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheers - Galen

Galen,

Of course, if you can afford both then there will be places where one excels versus the other. The 6" will be the ultimate in unmasking targets... but at a cost of the operator needing to be super paitent to cover all of the area. With the Coiltek, you will still seperate very,very well and cover the ground faster...

What's missed by the 5x10 due to masking may also be missed by the 6" due to simply not getting the coil exactly over it.

It will be tough to go wrong with either coil, but I think more people will start opting for the Coiltek.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down and borrowed one from our local shop, I was quite impressed . I took this to one of the absolute worst places in my area, no one ever hunts because of the trash and melted aluminum from camp fires. I had really nice separation and was able to work this area. I decided That I was going to dig anything 6 or greater on the FE and 00 and up on the CO side. I hunted for 6 hours and covered 30 square feet maybe a bit more. Luckily I brought the shovel because the hand trowel would of been a killer in this dry soil.

I dug 2 quarters, 5 dimes, 12 nickles, 15 pennies, 23 pull tabs, 10 pop tops and a gagillon pieces of melted aluminum. I did not have any WoW finds. Most of the nickles gave me a solid 12.15 VDI. Dimes rang up differently then factory coils for me on this trip. They were ringing up between 12:42 - 12.44 which is a tad higher then they have in the past. There could be any number of reasons for the different VDI numbers but because they were different I decided to mention it.

I was pretty impressed with this coil for separation and I was able to detect targets in 6 inches of soil. I think I will be picking up one of these in the next couple of days.

Cheers - Koffee

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
30 sf in 6 hours?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your experiences - glad to hear you liked it too. :)

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 sf in 6 hours?

Yes I would dig every 4 or to 6 inches at times. The melted aluminum was giving consistent VDI numbers high on the Co side, they were reading from 11/12: 20 - 12/13:40 and would show as a solid target. The other issue is even with this coil I still had multiple targets in the same whole and because of the size of the objects I had a difficult time gauging depth on the desired target.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread