CTX water hunters please help us.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
After much debate it still does not seem clear if the CTX has leaking problems or if it is just a few machines and user not cleaning the o-ring correctly.

If everyone who uses the CTX in the water on this forum can respond with there experiences then we should have a good idea of the ability of the CTX for submerged water hunting less then 10 feet. If you do not own a CTX but do know someone first hand (not here say) and know of their results water hunting good or bad please let us know.
I am hoping to here a lot of good reports so I will take mine back into the surf. This is something that can really be used along with Minelab.

Also please let us know if your water temperature is 10 deg or more different then your air temperature. This could help with the expansion contraction theory of the o-ring and case. Let us know if you hunt in the surf with waves hitting machine or just calm water or both. Let us know if you use divers grease or any product on the o-ring or USB cap threads.

I think it is clear and everyone knows the CTX is a great machine with great abilities so no need to write about that. Thanks for the feedback I am sure it will help many.:coffee2:

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start calling customer support right now so by the time it breaks, you can get some help.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the CTX is an advancement, I also think the machine is also being somewhat "over-hyped". I have never know a machine that could lead anyone to the location of gold, that's all in the user. Having said that, most of the hunters praising the machine have had just as good as years, (some even better), in the years prior to their acquiring the seemingly magical CTX. This isn't say that machine doesn't provide some measure of advantage, but it's certainly not without it's limits just like every other machine. For instance, I hope the CTX users on my area beaches keep notching out those pennies....certainly not a reliable aspect of this all gold seeking machine. Point is, Duel Field, Sand Shark, Excal, Infinium, CZ, etc., etc., etc.,...if you're not already consistently finding gold with some of these other quality machines then the purchase of a CTX isn't going to change that. Good/great/fantastic gold machine? Sure, it can be. But is it as magical as many are making it sound...the user still has to provide his machine, any machine, that opportunity. When, on the working end, I see the CTX reliably doing things and going places some of these other quality and reliable beach and water machines can't....I'll probably take the plunge, but so far I've just not seen it.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I would start calling customer support right now so by the time it breaks, you can get some help.

Casca come on now. We are trying to figure this out. It may end up if you just grease the o-ring it's fine or we may found out other things. Just trying to get some useful info. But that is funny.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do Excals leak?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my Experiences with the Machine.
I hunt COLD Waters of New England that require me to use waders to keep warm sometimes. Even with Waders sometimes I have to give up because I am frozen.
I have hunted in 95+ degrees temps this year going in and out of the COLD/WARM water.
I lake hunt and get to the SURF around 10 times a year.
Haven't really land hunted with it.
I DO NOT Grease the seal and won't unless Minelab says to. If I was MINELAB I wouldn't even warranty those that do grease it because that grease could be holding sand in who knows.
My problems so far:
1- Bad Battery (replaced real fast within a week)
2- The ROD keeps getting stuck from the sand even thou I clean my detector I am guessing you can't get all the SAND out of there.
Other than that I have had no problems and I have the head under water for 2-4 HRS at a time 3 to four times a week.

If it is going to break I want it to break under warranty so I push it to it's limits hunting in RAIN and cold SURF. If you bought it to hunt in the water and go only KNEE deep I really don't get it make MINELAB fix it if it leaks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do Excals leak?

3 excals over 6 year period not one leak.

If cable has hole or cable insulation goes bad it will suck water up the cable due to being hot sitting in car then going in cold water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Here is my Experiences with the Machine.
I hunt COLD Waters of New England that require me to use waders to keep warm sometimes. Even with Waders sometimes I have to give up because I am frozen.
I have hunted in 95+ degrees temps this year going in and out of the COLD/WARM water.
I lake hunt and get to the SURF around 10 times a year.
Haven't really land hunted with it.
I DO NOT Grease the seal and won't unless Minelab says to. If I was MINELAB I wouldn't even warranty those that do grease it because that grease could be holding sand in who knows.
My problems so far:
1- Bad Battery (replaced real fast within a week)
2- The ROD keeps getting stuck from the sand even thou I clean my detector I am guessing you can't get all the SAND out of there.
Other than that I have had no problems and I have the head under water for 2-4 HRS at a time 3 to four times a week.

If it is going to break I want it to break under warranty so I push it to it's limits hunting in RAIN and cold SURF. If you bought it to hunt in the water and go only KNEE deep I really don't get it make MINELAB fix it if it leaks.

Thanks GreeenMeanie good report. My rod also had problems and they replaced upper shaft. I have never had a shaft made by anyone that would slide up in down after using it in saltwater for a couple months although I would wash it clean after each use. Glad to here you used it in extreme conditions with no problem. This is real good news.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know Dennis D that hunts OC, bad coil and leaking O ring, corroded contacts. And Now Jim B in MB the same issue, bad coil.

On the Excalibur leaking, I have repaired maybe 30 this year, only three had leaked.

Two were the Old Swords, and after tracking down the source it was the Knob shaft O rings dry rotted, saltwater n time
The other was due to a ikelite battery endcap that was on the Pod, used to switch out the headphones...it had a bad crack

Saltwater is ruff, but to me the O Ring on the CTX looks red, more then likely a silicon O ring. They Seals better but softer and more likely to have more issues if they are not handled with care. I have a CTX coming soon for testing with the Gray Ghost Amphibians...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider the o-ring on the Excal battery pods, look at the amount of contact area when compressed, consider the amount of compression/pressure on that o-ring. This is what's needed - more surface area and greater compression. If I were to guess, the current seal is maybe compressed over a few thousandths of surface area - now add to this that if I were take an indicator and place it on the battery cap I'm sure, just as a strong wave and enough water force could do, that I could easily find a few thousandths movement in that end cap, all that is needed for those tiny grains to start working their way into the seal. I suspect this is probably the issue, and this from more then 30 years of having to troubleshoot all sorts hydraulic systems in all kinds of harsh environments.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you had honorable intentions with this post but already it is off topic... hopefully we can get it back on course.....

Over 40 hours submerged in month number one. Deepest was 7 feet but the battery end was then only about 4 feet due to shaft length. All hunting is in the gulf where the water temperature is approx. from 10 degrees different than the air temp dependant on the time of day. NO leakage at the battery seal, battery is removed each trip to check on leakage/charge the battery if needed. Nothing added to the seal (grease). I have found sand at the outer edges of the seal as would be expected the sand however has not worked its way under the seal to allow water infiltration. Seal is rinsed off under the tap and dried prior to re-installation.

A note for those that don't know, there is a flat side to the "o-ring" you have to look closely to see it... flat side is supposed to go to the controls side, round side of seal towards the battery....

As for the USB port, in my opinion, putting silicone grease on the threads will not stop leakage at that port... if you look at the reciever the cap is covering, you will see that the threads do not go all the way around the jack... there is a flat spot, tightness of the cap and the rubber seal in the cap is what seals out water and sand at that jack. Each time I have removed my cap, I have had to deal with sand on the cap threads.... a small paintbrush to remove the sand and ensure you do not cross thread the cap... and tighten. As long as the rubber seal is not degraded, you should have a good seal at the USB port.

Cliff

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no reason to get a CTX till the rating for depth is increased. It is not in MHO a water machine, but a rain resistant like the ATP. I've had my Tiger Shark, Sand Shark, 1280, CZ-20 and Excal down to over 100 feet and never a leak in either of them. I use silicone grease on the O rings. But I am waiting for better news from CTX owners that take them in the water. Which Detector.jpg

icurabeachguy

Greenie
May 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 8"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I put approx. 200 hours on a CTX in 6 months and it paid itself off in that time (I didn't pay retail). It was as deep or deeper than my CZ21 and had better iron disc than my CZ or Excal. I hunt in tropical waters with temps around 85-95 degrees year-round. All my detecting is snorkel detecting in ~6ft of calm (no waves) salt water and all 200 hours were submerged, averaging 8 hours each hunt. Never used any grease for the seals.

Long story short: I sold it because it was alarming to have to clean the battery seal after each hunt. I thoroughly rinsed the machine with fresh water after each. I pulled the control box back, exposing the coil connector and main unit wire connector, then flushed the inner shaft channel while moving the shaft up and down to clear the salt from the shaft. I then let the machine dry overnight and then removed the battery to inspect the seal and EVERY single time I've had sand seep into the battery seal channel, but never had water compromise the seal and leak into the battery compartment. I would then rinse the seal with fresh water and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth and then clean the channel with a soft paint brush to clear the sand. Eventually...that sand WILL breach the seal and I WILL have a machine down. When it costs that much, I don't wanna worry about frying my machine each and every 8 hour session.

The CTX was a great performer, but I'll stick to my CZ 8" & Excal S-12 combo for now because I need a reliable machine...it shouldn't have these issues out of the box and I didn't wanna be left holding the bag when the warranty ran out. I would love the CTX in a CZ case, minus the GPS and screen - KISS!!!

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I think you had honorable intentions with this post but already it is off topic... hopefully we can get it back on course.....

Over 40 hours submerged in month number one. Deepest was 7 feet but the battery end was then only about 4 feet due to shaft length. All hunting is in the gulf where the water temperature is approx. from 10 degrees different than the air temp dependant on the time of day. NO leakage at the battery seal, battery is removed each trip to check on leakage/charge the battery if needed. Nothing added to the seal (grease). I have found sand at the outer edges of the seal as would be expected the sand however has not worked its way under the seal to allow water infiltration. Seal is rinsed off under the tap and dried prior to re-installation.

A note for those that don't know, there is a flat side to the "o-ring" you have to look closely to see it... flat side is supposed to go to the controls side, round side of seal towards the battery....

As for the USB port, in my opinion, putting silicone grease on the threads will not stop leakage at that port... if you look at the reciever the cap is covering, you will see that the threads do not go all the way around the jack... there is a flat spot, tightness of the cap and the rubber seal in the cap is what seals out water and sand at that jack. Each time I have removed my cap, I have had to deal with sand on the cap threads.... a small paintbrush to remove the sand and ensure you do not cross thread the cap... and tighten. As long as the rubber seal is not degraded, you should have a good seal at the USB port.

Cliff

Great report! Thank you glad to see no problems

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I put approx. 200 hours on a CTX in 6 months and it paid itself off in that time (I didn't pay retail). It was as deep or deeper than my CZ21 and had better iron disc than my CZ or Excal. I hunt in tropical waters with temps around 85-95 degrees year-round. All my detecting is snorkel detecting in ~6ft of calm (no waves) salt water and all 200 hours were submerged, averaging 8 hours each hunt. Never used any grease for the seals.

Long story short: I sold it because it was alarming to have to clean the battery seal after each hunt. I thoroughly rinsed the machine with fresh water after each. I pulled the control box back, exposing the coil connector and main unit wire connector, then flushed the inner shaft channel while moving the shaft up and down to clear the salt from the shaft. I then let the machine dry overnight and then removed the battery to inspect the seal and EVERY single time I've had sand seep into the battery seal channel, but never had water compromise the seal and leak into the battery compartment. I would then rinse the seal with fresh water and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth and then clean the channel with a soft paint brush to clear the sand. Eventually...that sand WILL breach the seal and I WILL have a machine down. When it costs that much, I don't wanna worry about frying my machine each and every 8 hour session.

The CTX was a great performer, but I'll stick to my CZ 8" & Excal S-12 combo for now because I need a reliable machine...it shouldn't have these issues out of the box and I didn't wanna be left holding the bag when the warranty ran out. I would love the CTX in a CZ case, minus the GPS and screen - KISS!!!

Thank you for the report. I think your report will be important in this review. Minelab has stated leaking is a result of not cleaning o-ring properly and you really have explained well the chore it can be. Also that is a good tip on cleaning the shaft, which has also been a problem like any shaft used in saltwater. Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I know Dennis D that hunts OC, bad coil and leaking O ring, corroded contacts. And Now Jim B in MB the same issue, bad coil.

On the Excalibur leaking, I have repaired maybe 30 this year, only three had leaked.

Two were the Old Swords, and after tracking down the source it was the Knob shaft O rings dry rotted, saltwater n time
The other was due to a ikelite battery endcap that was on the Pod, used to switch out the headphones...it had a bad crack

Saltwater is ruff, but to me the O Ring on the CTX looks red, more then likely a silicon O ring. They Seals better but softer and more likely to have more issues if they are not handled with care. I have a CTX coming soon for testing with the Gray Ghost Amphibians...

Thanks OBN always good reliable informations. I would not even have a CTX if it wasn't for you. Glad to see your getting one and joining in on the fun. Sorry to see you will be finding more engagement rings in my hunting grounds. I may have to seed the areas in front of you with nickels and pull tabs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread