cup

stevester

Jan 4, 2023
Hello from California

Last year near Mount Shasta, I was hiking with my dog near a river and under a tree I saw a very square looking rock mixed with other regular looking rocks that just stood out to me, when I turned it over It looked like some kind of container, but then I noticed a lip where it might be used for drinking.

The rock presumed an agate type does not look prevalant on the ground nearby but I read that type rock is common in areas not far away. The object is very well made flush in all areas.

I assumed it was more modern but I wrapped it up in a bubble wrap ball for the last year anyway.

Has anyone on this forum ever seen anything like this or if it is modern or more ancient.

Thank you

Attachments

• cup (7).JPG
    cup (7).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 80
  • cup (3).JPG
    cup (3).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 82
  • cup (1).JPG
    cup (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • cup (4).JPG
    cup (4).JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 90
  • cup (5).JPG
    cup (5).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 92
  • cup (6).JPG
    cup (6).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
S

stevester

Jan 4, 2023
Thank you everybody.

The piece is not made out of plaster. It was a solid agate rock similar to the images i just posted. Maybe one can but it would seem difficult to melt agate and put into a mold and get those swirls. It looks hand sanded.

Attachments

• DSCN0165.JPG
    DSCN0165.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0167.JPG
    DSCN0167.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everybody.

The piece is not made out of plaster. It was a solid agate rock similar to the images i just posted. Maybe one can but it would seem difficult to melt agate and put into a mold and get those swirls. It looks hand sanded.
Is that the same "cup"? It doesn't look like your fist set of pics. And yes there is material that is poured then becomes very hard with myriad designs possible. Faux marble.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geology guys might catch me on some technicalities but drawing on some college classes that quickly get farther away… agate is a silicate that forms as a replacement, I believe it’s bonded with a water molecule which is how it flows into voids. My point is this slow replacement and deposition is the opposite process that would leave natural bubbles which is more indicative of rapid cooling which traps the gas… I’ve never seen an agate with bubbles Id agree it’s poured

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no, no... lots of agates have bubbles, as in the ones that fill lava voids, I have dozens... but yes, NOT like the ones on this piece. Do you all think this item if "half" of something?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stevester

Jan 4, 2023
no, no... lots of agates have bubbles, as in the ones that fill lava voids, I have dozens... but yes, NOT like the ones on this piece. Do you all think this item if "half" of something?
I agree it is made from a whole rock. The bottom looks sanded to show half bubbles.

I was thinking that it may be made by a hand held rotary drill set then sanded down to make it smoother.

Or it could have been all handcarved by another stone, I have seen a few photos of "cupstones" online by the native americans, and some have very even symetrical edges.

But whoever did it hand some skills.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's neither agate nor man made.

It's Travertine. Travertine is just the mineral calcite that has been built up through deposition. It's found around springs and waterfalls in areas with limestone country rock. It's very soft and easily carved with a knife. It's been used for thousands of years for inexpensive containers - most commonly ash trays in the last century. It's not particularly durable but it has been used in Europe as an inexpensive replacement for marble.

Travertine is not a good choice for a drinking or eating vessel because it decomposes when in contact with even mild acids. For the same reason it doesn't work well for grinding grains or herbs. If you put a little vinegar (mild acid) in your bowl you can watch the bubbles fizz as the bowl self destructs. I wouldn't suggest you do this on anything but a small detached piece because the vinegar soaks into the stone and continues weakining the calcite bonds for a very long time.

Upvote 1

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i am not even sure it is even that.... all those bubbles make it look man made to me.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i am not even sure it is even that.... all those bubbles make it look man made to me.
Travertine is full of "bubbles" (cavities). Look at the pictures in the links I posted above.

Here's a picture from one of the most famous Travertine deposits in Tuscany Italy. This is what most Travertine you will encounter looks like in the rough.

Here's are some ash trays made from Travertine.

Upvote 1

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Travertine is full of "bubbles" (cavities). Look at the pictures in the links I posted above.

Here's a picture from one of the most famous Travertine deposits in Tuscany Italy. This is what most Travertine you will encounter looks like in the rough.

Here's are some ash trays made from Travertine.
yeah, yeah, yeah.... but not all those uniform circular bubble type holes....

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah, yeah, yeah.... but not all those uniform circular bubble type holes....
I get your point. I can see the distinction you are making.

So that leaves the question - if this is man made why the heck would someone spend all that time and money trying to make something look like Travertine which is already essentially free and easy to carve into just about any shape? And why would they spend so much time trying to give it a rough natural appearance when the market favors smooth well finished pieces?

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I get your point. I can see the distinction you are making.

So that leaves the question - if this is man made why the heck would someone spend all that time and money trying to make something look like Travertine which is already essentially free and easy to carve into just about any shape? And why would they spend so much time trying to give it a rough natural appearance when the market favors smooth well finished pieces?

I am guessing it is broken off of something else.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why where you found it...?

My first guess is based on the design. Specific edges for specific reason. More than crude chance.
Thus my why of it's locale. But humans scatter stuff far and wide for many reasons.
Was the stone area under the tree an alter of sorts ?

46200_cascadia_electric_fountain_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions