520.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etched
Engrave (metal, glass, or stone) by coating it with a protective layer, drawing on it with a needle, and then covering it with acid to...: "etched windows"

mirror
A reflective surface, glass coated with a metal amalgam, that reflects a clear image

That's all I can tell you without a picture :tongue3:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Post a pic .. we need to see it .

Before we can say anything about it . Etched mirrors were very popular on waterbed headboards and I doubt if it's an antique . Valuable ? Maybe , maybe not . But it's still something cool for a wall at home .
An old friend I knew used to etch window glass for businesses and made this his only job cause not many people do this . Today it's not as popular but there is still a market .
So post a picture cause we'd all like to see it. Happy Trails , Woodstock
I was on the way to detect a local school when I saw an etched mirror leaning against a couple garbage bags. i pulled a u turn and did a little curbside shopping. Any info on it would be great. Thanks !

Ace Villa-v

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some middle of the street shopping yesterday too.

Driving down the street and see a white odd shaped thing in the middle of the road. No one behind me so I stop and back up all the way, at least half a block. Get out and see a brand new Belkin heavy duty 6' extension cord with 5 or 6 plug holes. It was still in the cardboard sleeve. I already have all I need so I might use it to trade at a yardsale for something.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'll try and post a pic just having trouble not su why?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
For what it is worth, I too have trouble downloading pics to this site. I believe I have succeeded once. I once emailed the pic to CyberDan and he posted it for me. Nowadays, I just find the same thing on ebay and post the link. If anyone has the secret, I would love to hear it. Just letting you know you aren't alone, Ace.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Picture at last !!!!

Attachments

• grape mirror.png
    grape mirror.png
    520.7 KB · Views: 186

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is vintage 1940's or so by the looks of it. If it was mine, i'd put a frame around it, distressed, shabby chic.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks for the frame idea Dig. I'll do that prior to selling it. Any ideas on price ???

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try and post a pic just having trouble not su why?

For what it is worth, I too have trouble downloading pics to this site. I believe I have succeeded once. I once emailed the pic to CyberDan and he posted it for me. Nowadays, I just find the same thing on ebay and post the link. If anyone has the secret, I would love to hear it. Just letting you know you aren't alone, Ace.
How do you all attach your photos? I just hit the insert image button, make sure it says "from computer" versus "from url", then click "choose file" then find your photo (usually in "my photos") and click upload.

As far as price on the mirror, it depends on how good you do on that frame. lol. I'd try for at least $50-$75. They sell for that and more on ebay anyways. Here is a similar shaped one in the original frame- Beautiful Antique Etched Framed Wood Gesso Mirror | eBay

northwoods

Feb 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't beat free! I'd surface clean it, and shop it around at a couple of antique shops, and see what ballpark you get for offers. You can always get at least $10 more than the original offer from the shop owner. You may elect to sell it to the highest offer, or put it on Craigslist. If you want to sell it as a collectible piece, you do not want to put a frame around it. But it will look better with a frame if you are going to use it yourself or sell it a decorative piece to someone on Craigslist, etc.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
How do you all attach your photos? I just hit the insert image button, make sure it says "from computer" versus "from url", then click "choose file" then find your photo (usually in "my photos") and click upload.

Diggum, I may not have tried since the site was updated a few months ago. I always followed the directions given, but usually was alerted the file was too big. At least that is what I think was the problem. I love seeing everyone else's pics though.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked in glass and done a fair amount of etching, Your find is a very nice find. Quarter inch mirrored glass goes for about $4 a square foot. Add that it's beveled and what appears to be sand etched it's probably at least a $300 to $400 piece of glass if you bought it at a glass shop today. Resale value is, as always, what someone will pay for it. Definitely mount and frame it. It would make a beautiful free standing full length bathroom/dressingroom mirror. This sort of stuff is not as popular as it was in the 70's, but nice stuff like this always comes back in style.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many older mirrors are dated on the back.also i was once told the reflective surface is silver plate,does anyone know if that is true?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High quality mirrored surfaces are always done in silver (the most reflective metal), but it is done in an extremely thin layer. Not much there for scrap value.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggum, I may not have tried since the site was updated a few months ago. I always followed the directions given, but usually was alerted the file was too big. At least that is what I think was the problem. I love seeing everyone else's pics though.

You just have to re-size your photo. I had trouble too, you get the pic up, find the "edit" or "re-size", reduce it by a third or so, save it and then try again. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread