Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilligan said:
I am just wondering if I can get some rough estimates on the worth of this bit of gold I have found over the years with my detector.

The 2 herringbone necklaces are 14K and in bad shape due to being in the ground and beat up.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homefires said:
All Karat Gold is good.

Your One peace says Gold Filled. That is gold over something.

Weigh it in grams.

What sort of Oz is your scale using?

28.5 Gram

Or

Troy 31.1 Grams?

http://www.jackhunt.com/gold-calc.html

It is a postal scale that I used and has either oz or grams as choices. Basically the reason I am asking is that I made a quick sale of the pictured items for $400 and am wondering if I got a good deal, or if they did. I sold it on ebay. I posted it with a beginning price of 100 dollars, knowing that it would climb. Someone emailed me and said if I do a buy it now for $300, they would purchase on the spot. I emailed them and said that I really need $400 and I would do buy it now for that. They said OK and purchased right away. Was I ripped or was that a good deal? I normally am more patient on ebay and would tell people to let the auction run it's course, but I was somewhat desperate. Thanks for your information. I am happy with the purchase, just wondering if I should have held out for the auction to end. Thanks, Bryan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well if you were hard up and needed the cash and the deal is over and done with -- since it was "found" or free gold -- $400 for found gold is a + rather than a minus in my book -- of course you can cry and suffer and beat your self up about how much you "coulda" got ( anything good going to come from doing that? other than a learning a good couple of lessons ---nope -- you did what you had to --regrets too late for em)-- so just say -- I did what I had to to get by ==and that in the future -- I will learn how to properly find out what my gold items are "properly" worth before selling and I will strive hard to get a better paying job , and to save back some cash so I do not box my self into such a disperate fiscal sitituation again and have to "short sell" my gold for less than what I feel is fair -- because when your hard up folks well screw ya -- all day everyday --and they ( pawn broker types and many others) are just setting there waiting for hard up folks to come along so they can ofter them pennies on the dollar in "cash" ( 25 % to at best 1/3 of real "true"value often)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ok with gold at say 1,142 an (troy) oz -- divided by 31.1 grams (grams per troy oz) -- pure gold is worth $36.72 per gram at current melt value

once you know the current melt value the trick is to figger out just how much pure gold you got .

the items actual weight - times its gold purity % will tell you how much real gold you got

lets try this exsample --- say you found a 20 gram --18 k gold ring --(24 k is pure gold -- so 18k -- 18 / 24ths pure gold --so 3/4 pure --- 18 divided by 24 is .750* ---20 x .750 = 15 grams of pure gold x 36.72 =thats $550.80 at full melt value -- now most dealers will not pay full melt * keeping a certain % for themselves as their cut or profiet margin ( a small amount is reasonible of course since bussiness is bussiness --(but by knowing what you got you are better able to tell if your getting hosed or if its a fair offer-- and to shop around a bit -- if you can go in saying -- ok I got 20 of grams of 18 k -- , 15 grams of pure gold and spots 1,142 -- thus 550 in value --what will you offer me --its cut and dry lets get down to bussiness --cuts a lot of bs out of the way --make a offer on 550 worth of gold )

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
well if you were hard up and needed the cash and the deal is over and done with -- since it was "found" or free gold -- $400 for found gold is a + rather than a minus in my book -- of course you can cry and suffer and beat your self up about how much you "coulda" got ( anything good going to come from doing that? other than a learning a good couple of lessons ---nope -- you did what you had to --regrets too late for em)-- so just say -- I did what I had to to get by ==and that in the future -- I will learn how to properly find out what my gold items are "properly" worth before selling and I will strive hard to get a better paying job , and to save back some cash so I do not box my self into such a disperate fiscal sitituation again and have to "short sell" my gold for less than what I feel is fair -- because when your hard up folks well screw ya -- all day everyday --and they ( pawn broker types and many others) are just setting there waiting for hard up folks to come along so they can ofter them pennies on the dollar in "cash" ( 25 % to at best 1/3 of real "true"value often)

Thanks for the info. I am not beating myself up, I am just curious, based on what my picture shows and the carats involved, what some guesses are as to the value. Was $400 close or way off? I have no idea how much pure gold is in a 14 K or 10 K, or 18K gold filled item is. Yet, I know there are some knowledgable people on here who could give me a close estimate. That is all I am curious about. Thanks, Bryan

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:

Friend, not to mention, I think you are reading WAY too much into my question.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
ok with gold at say 1,142 an (troy) oz -- divided by 31.1 grams (grams per troy oz) -- pure gold is worth $36.72 per gram at current melt value

once you know the current melt value the trick is to figger out just how much pure gold you got .

the items actual weight - times its gold purity % will tell you how much real gold you got

lets try this exsample --- say you found a 20 gram --18 k gold ring --(24 k is pure gold -- so 18k -- 18 / 24ths pure gold --so 3/4 pure --- 18 divided by 24 is .750* ---20 x .750 = 15 grams of pure gold x 36.72 =thats $550.80 at full melt value -- now most dealers will not pay full melt * keeping a certain % for themselves as their cut or profiet margin ( a small amount is reasonible of course since bussiness is bussiness --(but by knowing what you got you are better able to tell if your getting hosed or if its a fair offer-- and to shop around a bit -- if you can go in saying -- ok I got 20 of grams of 18 k -- , 15 grams of pure gold and spots 1,142 -- thus 550 in value --what will you offer me --its cut and dry lets get down to bussiness --cuts a lot of bs out of the way --make a offer on 550 worth of gold )

Great info, thanks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
your welcome --many folks get hosed badly by not knowing the true value * of the gold items their selling -once you got a ideal of what you honestly got value wise then your in a better position to bargin around with various sellers* --- unless your "hard up" --stuck in a nasty gotta have cash now fix position --then its often take what you can get --pawn folks can smell when your "needy" and like a lointhat senses a weak prey animal --those leeches close in for the kill $$$

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
The boys on the Findmall underwater detecting forum think highly of Aragold refinery.
They pay 98% of spot, appear to be straight up and even remove any stones and send them back to you.
To work out what your stuff is worth, use the Dendritics precious metals calculator.
Google and ye shall find.

Lou.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lou from downunder said:
The boys on the Findmall underwater detecting forum think highly of Aragold refinery.
They pay 98% of spot, appear to be straight up and even remove any stones and send them back to you.
To work out what your stuff is worth, use the Dendritics precious metals calculator.
Google and ye shall find.

Lou.

Thank you for the information my friend. Bryan

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is pictured was purchased for $400 on ebay. I think I did OK.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WildernessAU said:
You need to weigh each item seperately. The three rings you have info for are worth $280.6 alone.
D

Thanks alot for the estimate. How did you come up with that figure?

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
Lets take 5grams 14k gold.
14k is 58.3% gold
5 x .583 = 2.915
2.915 x $35.50 = $103.48

If you do some research it is easy to learn all values.
Hope this helps some.
D

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WildernessAU said:
Lets take 5grams 14k gold.
14k is 58.3% gold
5 x .583 = 2.915
2.915 x $35.50 = $103.48

If you do some research it is easy to learn all values.
Hope this helps some.
D

It helps alot, thanks a million. Your post is exactly what I was looking for in a response to my question, not a bunch of advice on how I may have got ripped off. Thanks again, Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread