Curious stones and bone?

beau7johnson

Sep 21, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some curious stones and what looks like a large fossilized arm or leg bone I found hunting over the weekend. The fragment that is layered similar to bone is extremely heavy and 6-8 on long by a. Diameter of 1-2 in ( varying in places). 6D8B25A5-C7E1-43CA-BB21-F7CBCF5A08F2.jpeg EC8399F9-C30F-4948-AC1A-90C2B3F745D3.jpeg

OP
OP
B

beau7johnson

Sep 21, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2143FC5A-39BC-417B-9AA4-A7C356913FE5.jpeg @older the better ___ This is the best image I currently have If this is any better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be fossilized bone or a piece of Mammoth tusk? Definitely interesting.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you possibly do a laying flat photo next to something common for scale, maybe a quarter? Also a side view if possible, thanks.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
That's better Beau. The best colors can be had by photos in daylight when shadows are least. High noon.
Seems so often when I go into a wilderness I find a bone.
People that are good at ID'ing a bone are doctors (of course) and artists that have been formally trained. The study of the body is necessary to depict the human well. I knew an artist that could point out when a man was used for a clothes model in the Twiggy days. She would look for an Adams apple. Women don't have one.
I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id believe it was bone, the curve of it seems a bit extreme for a major long bone (femur, Humerus) but I'm more of a dabbler than an expert. id guess maybe an ulna

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing it could be is a broken off piece of antler it is hard to tell.The reason I lean more towards antler, horn or tusk is there isn't any spot where I can see that bone marrow would have been by looking at the pictures that show the ends of the item.If you could take pictures of the ends it might show the ends better than the first pictures.I provided a picture of a bones structure. The structure of a long bone.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread