Currency hunting???

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Do any of you guys buy straps of bills from the bank looking for star notes , low serial numbers, binary, red seals, blue seals? If so, what are your averages and is it really worth it? I've done $500 in 1's an have found found 5 star notes, one with a lowish serial number, like 00102749 and out of $50 in 2's one star note. Are star notes really worth anything? Educate me please. I know really nothing. You all obviously know so much more than me. I'm 16, do you think investing in collectible currency is wise long term or do you think silver would be better. It would be cool to get a larger variety of stuff in my collection. Thank you very much for all responses!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't think it's really worth it. The margins are pretty slim. And your small sample size average is WAY HIGH. I generally have found a1 star note for every 200 bills(any denomination) searched. Then most time it's pretty beat up and not worth much. I still look through my bills say like when I dump 1000 in coin . I'll check my bills for anything special but as far as going bank to bank looking for star notes..idk if its worth it.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy is right, the average is about 1 for every 200. If you find one in good shape you can usually sell it on the bay for $2.50 to $5 depending on market conditions and year of the bill. Is it "worth it"? Probably not, but its still fun to do. I will get a $100 strap and any $2 bills whenever I dump my clad. Like you said, its a good way to diversify your collection and thats why I do it. Bill searching is much easier and less time consuming than CRH, but I still prefer the silver!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For star notes, I have a very low average. I enter every single bill that comes into my hands into Where'sGeorge.com's database, and since November of last year, I have entered 1,847 Bills worth $16,349. Of those bills I have entered, I have only gotten 9 star notes, or .5% of the bills I have entered. Here's a break down of the stars:

View attachment 696819

mkrocks50

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2012
I have some silver certificates. The serial numbers on the left side do not match the ones on the right side???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread