Current Events

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
The day started out pretty good. I got to the beach area I was going to hunt a little early because it was still dark so I waited a short while and then got out and started hunting the dry sand area. I don't get in the water when it's dark.

I was feeling pretty "cocky" after finding gold rings both of the previous days. Boy, I was getting good! Yeah! Right!

It got lighter and finally I went down to the water and started hunting the edge. Up and down, back and forth. The lighter it got the deeper I went. It took a long while to get my first signal and it was a quarter. ALL RIGHT! I'm on a roll now. Kept going, deeper and deeper. The tide was coming in and I could feel it but wasn't worried. After all I wasn't deep. It was hard going against it to one end but going the other way I was moving along much faster than I really wanted to walk. I wasn't getting any hits and it was just as well because if I had I probably would not have been able to stand still enough to retrieve the item. Still walking along, feet firmly on the bottom going a bit deeper. I got up to my shoulders and still feeling confident. Nice day out. My old people were there now and all said good morning. Still not getting any hits when all of a sudden I stepped in a hole and my feet were not touching bottom anymore. My toes could barely reach the bottom and I was moving along kind of fast. I wasn't scared. I'm in a swimming area not the Gulf or the ocean. It is a roped off swimming area in the river. I'm fine but still can't walk on the bottom and still moving along pretty fast. I could see the rope coming up and decided that I'd let my machine go. It was attached to me by cord anyway so I wasn't going to lose it and I needed to grab that rope because if I didn't .... I'd go on down the river and didn't know where I'd end up. The old ladies were clear down at the other end of the swimming area but the two old guys were not far from me and one of them yelled and asked if I was OK.... stupid me.... I said yes, just lost my footing for a minute. I wasn't OK. I needed to grab that rope. I did and hauled myself back to where I could stand. I guess you can tell I didn't stay there long in the water after that. I did a couple more short lines and then got out and hunted on dry sand the rest of my time there.

I guess I am making more of this than it was but .... I say many times over and over that no amount of gold or great finds are worth anyone's life. I know it for a fact today. I was feeling too confident this morning and should never have gone in so deep when I knew the current was strong. You never know when you will step in a hole or get knocked off your feet and lose your balance.

My take for today.... 83 cents, a BIC lighter and my life. I'll take it! ::)

Moneynjunk082908.jpg

I AM FINE GUYS N GALS. I learned a very good lesson this morning and I AM FINE!

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I am glad you are ok and folks don't understand how dangerous it could become in the water. I use my scoop as leverage when things get too deep and it helps me get back to where I can touch. I am really glad you are ok.

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
You did find something valuable today - probably a lesson for yourself and one to share with us regarding keeping safe. I am so glad you are fine after that scare. Tomorrow will be a safer and luckier day. Happy hunting, Mumszie!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I actually did try to use my scoop to leverage myself back so I could touch bottom but the current was moving so fast by that time that all it did was push me faster the way I did not want to go. I tried several times to use the scoop to my advantage but it did not work.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have one of those emergency inflatable vests that their has been a fair amount of discussion on this site about? Those would seem to be an important backup just incase you ever find yourself in this kind of a situation again.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Every ONE that wade's past wast deep should wear a suspender style
emergency inflatable vest. These things work! They come in different size's
and are very user friendly. There was one person drown this year while wadeing
and detecting let's NOT read about someone else!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
You guys are definitely right and I need to get one of those. This would have been a whole different outcome had I been out in the Gulf or ocean and a vest would have really been a life saver.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glad to hear your Ok Girl ... Guzz

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ANY type of flotation device would be better then thinking "OH SHIETE".

I would also recommend NOT attaching anything that cannot be discarded in a second. (quick release belt, ETC)
I'm glad your still with us Mumzie.

HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
(finger wave back and forth)

And there will be no more scarring us like that again young lady! >:(

Detachable accessories and an inflatable vest, or knee deep only!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumzie, first off, I am so glad you didnt panic and I am very happy that your still with us.. thank god for that rope, we do not have roped off areas here in nj.. maybe we would have less drownings each year if we did have roped off areas..either way, I am so happy your still with us... ..falling on the dirt and thanking the sea gods.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful out there, plus we need you around to do the next video.....

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Mumszie... what a scare you must have had. Sometimes the water can be pretty scary. My biggest scare so far was getting hammered by a giant wave about shoulderblade high in the back when I was trying to pinpoint a detection in the surf. Nearly knocked me off my feet.

I need to hook up a cord to my detector - what do you use for this?

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Well Mumzie,You had a problem,you handled it ,and you learned a lesson.Now you're even
more experienced .Way to go.Stay safe,and keep finding that gold.HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread