Hunting the wet sand at low tide

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
This is a question rather than a post about something I found hunting the wet sand.

It seems like it is recommended over and over again to hunt the wet sand at low tide. The reason given is usually because this is an area that at higher tides might be covered with water knee to waist deep.

My question is... is this really the only reason to hunt the wet sand at low tide, or is there some other reason that I am missing?

I keep wondering if the recommendation to hunt the wet sand at low tide is primarily for people that don't ever enter the water with their detector - especially if it is not a waterproof unit. I like to get out to the beach at low tide, but I enjoy detecting in the knee to waist deep water rather than the wet sand. The majority of the good finds I make are out in the water rather than on the wet sand, but I did recently find a really nice 14K ring with 13 small diamonds in the wet sand at the water's edge.

Where do you like to detect at the beach, and what is your rationale behind spending your time in that area, rather than higher up the wet sand or further out in the water?

Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I typically go around low tide, and hunt all 3 zones: wet sand, surf, and the water. Find goodies in all 3 :)

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt when Ever I can But i do shoot for low tide Guzz

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
I typically go around low tide, and hunt all 3 zones: wet sand, surf, and the water.  Find goodies in all 3 :)

I agree with Narthoniel, depending on time.  If I don't have a lot of time to play with I try to hit the area that is at waist deep, if it's been serched I go out to neck deep.  At least there I know i have a chance to find something, most of the other hunters don't go there because it's harder to hunt and can be dangerous.  If one can't swim well don't even try going out that deep.

It's hard to say which is the best to hunt because I have found goodies in all zones.  I went hunting with Cavedweller who even found a nice gold ring near the garbage cans at the entrance. 

It's where ever someone lost it.

Guzz, now I can say I remember seeing you.  Your new picture gives you away. ;D (just kidding)

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
my new excal doesnt like getting wet, so i cant go in past my knees. in the process of trying to get a replacement sent here so i can go deep too :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wet sand down near the water at low tide or even out in the water durimg the same time. For one thing this is where the action is on finding most of the targets and there is less hunting out there.

Check out http://thegoldenolde.com

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
One reason I've heard of is that the outgoing tide removes some of the sand,which puts you
closer to the targets.The reason that a lot of people hunt the waist deep water is that is where
a lot of people wade out to,especially if there isn't any bathroom facilities around(the p-zone).
But ,of coarse, the targets can be anywhere.HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread