Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not doubting his expertise, but on the other hand, how can you say "most" good targets don't even give you a VDI number. that simply isn't true. maybe if all of your targets are 8 inches or deeper, that could be true. what if all of the targets you want to dig are 3-6 inches. you will definitely get a VDI number on every one of them. the VDI feedback usually starts going away at about 8 inches. (depending on soil conditions) I just came back from the mailbox, and the book by Andy Sabisch came today. it says that a silver quarter will give you a VDI number of 91 @ 12 kHz, and a VDI number of 94 @ 18 kHz.

Hey Corps you definitely right about the depth. And it all depends on your reactivity, if the numbers will show up. I am not the know it all.
As far as Andy's book. He is a good friend of mine, and he will be the first to tell you. Take it with a grain of salt.
It has alot of good info. But dont go be numbers!!
Ive dug silver dimes at 80.
TONES, TONES, TONES ..
good luck, and if I can help cut ur learning curve just a little, let me know.
George

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should take Vinos advice, he's the most knowledgeable person I have spoken with regarding the Deus.

Hey Buck, you must have not spoken to alot of people????? Lol
Thanks Buck.
George

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Corps you definitely right about the depth. And it all depends on your reactivity, if the numbers will show up. I am not the know it all.
As far as Andy's book. He is a good friend of mine, and he will be the first to tell you. Take it with a grain of salt.
It has alot of good info. But dont go be numbers!!
Ive dug silver dimes at 80.
TONES, TONES, TONES ..
good luck, and if I can help cut ur learning curve just a little, let me know.
George

thanks a lot for the info, and i appreciate the offer!

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been practicing some with full tones, and I really like it so far. I feel like I might be getting some additional depth with it, but that may just be in my head. either way, I could see myself possibly using it exclusively in the future. also, I've been using the notch feature lately. I've been notching out stuff on the lower end of the conductivity scale, and also anything from 96-99. that way, I can run my discriminator at zero, but I don't have to listen to all of the noise. seems to work pretty well so far. I ordered the deus book by Andy Sabische (spelling??), so I hope to get it maybe tomorrow. I'm sure that will help a lot. I would like to see some custom programs from other civil war relic hunters. I'm pretty curious how others are increasing the depth for things like deep bullets and buttons.

You may want to trying using no disc and no notch, in full tones. Yes, you will hear many more sounds. But also subtleties that may identify a good target. You will also get used to the sound of deep iron and rusted bottle caps. I go by sound almost 100% changing frequencies to double check questionable targets. We always read about the deus, bringing hunted out parks back to life. I wasn't sure till I started digging those subtle tones. Amazing what it can do, with time and patience.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i'll have to give it a shot when I get a chance. I don't think I can do that when I hunt the construction sites downtown, though. it's absolutely trash infested.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i'll have to give it a shot when I get a chance. I don't think I can do that when I hunt the construction sites downtown, though. it's absolutely trash infested.

Yeah, it may be tough if it's that trashy.
If you can run 4hrz, it may help. It doesn't pick up, all the little junk as much. Plus all the tones will lower. Making tabs, junk and gold, tend to not stand out in tone as much. For me, it really makes targets like silver, really statd out. Not as in loundness, but pitch...

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm mostly hunting for civil war stuff, so I don't know if that's going to work out for me. pull tabs and bullets sound identical. the bullets will read a little higher on the number scale, but they sound the same. (at least how I've been running the breaking points lately.)

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been tweaking programs quite a bit. obviously, I'm still learning the machine, and seem to learn something each time I go out with it. in extremely trashy sites, I've been running my disc at 10 or 12, and I'm running a notch between 0 and 28, and another at 98-99. I use manual ground balance, and I just keep my eye on it and make changes accordingly.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been tweaking programs quite a bit. obviously, I'm still learning the machine, and seem to learn something each time I go out with it. in extremely trashy sites, I've been running my disc at 10 or 12, and I'm running a notch between 0 and 28, and another at 98-99. I use manual ground balance, and I just keep my eye on it and make changes accordingly.

Why run disc up to 10 or 12 if your notching up to 28?
Any disc above 8, your killing your depth.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
your logic definitely makes sense to me, and I did think about that. I backed my disc down to 0, but I seemed to get a lot more chatter that way. I was thinking that if I notched out 0-28, that I wouldn't hear anything in that range. who knows, maybe the place I was at had some bad interference or something. my initial thought was that I could run my notch up to whatever range I wanted to start hearing, then I could run my disc at zero, giving me maximum depth, but not having to listen to all the trash.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just an update... I've been using full tones now for some time, and I'm really loving it. you really get used to it pretty quickly. one thing I have found, is that some targets definitely will give you a lower VDI number in full tones. not that it's bad, you just have to get used to what your numbers are telling you. also, I've been using the Tracking feature on the ground balance, and I've found that it works incredibly well. I was hunting a construction site that had some fill dirt mixed in with the good dirt. part of the dirt was orange and terribly mineralized, and the other half was good dirt. when there was a definite line between the 2 types of soils, the machine would chatter going from the non-mineralized to the mineralized, but it would clear up after less than 10 seconds. otherwise, it stays spot on. if you've never used Tracking, I highly recommend it.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't notch out anything I just make 1-20 and 98-99 an iron grunt. Notching could lose you depth or miss a target

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure that notching has anything to do with depth. I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but I would like to hear what others have to say about this. at any rate, it's kind of funny... I've had my deus for about 5 months now, and my settings are totally different than when I initially started this thread.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure that notching has anything to do with depth. I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but I would like to hear what others have to say about this. at any rate, it's kind of funny... I've had my deus for about 5 months now, and my settings are totally different than when I initially started this thread.

Notch has nothing to do with depth.
Silencer and reactivity does.
So, your right Corpsman.
Also disc, can impact a little depth.
But what notch can do is make you miss good targets next to the notch.
George

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't notch out anything I just make 1-20 and 98-99 an iron grunt. Notching could lose you depth or miss a target

actually, according to some info I just read about the deus, you are right about that. thanks for the insight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions