Cutting edge finds from the local pond.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I freed up two hours this afternoon to go hunt, and decided to break my rut and skip the schoolyards. I drove down to a local freshwater pond and hit the beach, and dug up this machete. It was buried in the sand, about 4 inches deep. It's a cheap one, with a plastic handle that's marked "Taiwan". Doesn't look like it's been there too long, as the steel blade isn't too rusted. Also found 1 quarter, 1 nickel, and 3 pennies, one of which was a 1926 wheatie, in pretty crusty shape. It's soaking in olive oil right now. The wheatie and the machete were pretty close to each other, buried in the half sand/half soil at the edge of the sand beach near the woods. Hauled out a ton of trash too. Beer and soda cans, can slaw, paper and foil wrappers, broken glass. And this beach has trash cans lined all around the fence at the top of the beach! Damn slobs, I hate 'em! Anyway, happy hunting to you all!

Attachments

• Sand  Pond Machete 9-11-05.JPG
    Sand Pond Machete 9-11-05.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Sand Pond Finds 9-11-05.JPG
    Sand Pond Finds 9-11-05.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 517
  • Sand  Pond 1926 Wheat  9-11-05.JPG
    Sand Pond 1926 Wheat 9-11-05.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat machete and wheatie. I know what you mean about the slobs who throw garbage. Why don't they get it? How lazy are they that they can't pick up after themselves?

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Cool, why can't I find a machete??? I'll give you a merc and a wheat for it!!! ;D Seriously, that's really cool, nice finds!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A machete? How could someone loose a machete?

I know what you mean about the slobs ! I visited an old swimming hole today ....it's really hard

to find the good stuff for all the junk!

Congrats on your good stuff!!

;)

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, that's a good point. How on Earth do you lose a machete?? It was down 3-4" deep, yet doesn't look like it's been buried too long because it's not rusted enough to have been there long enough to get itself down that deep. It must have been put there purposley, but why would someone bury one on purpose? Maybe used in a crime?? If there were a crazy, machete weilding lunatic around here, i'd have heard about it, but it makes you think, doesn' it? How and why did it get to where it was? Who knows, but it's a cool "relic" I guess.

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
Sounds like you worked hard for your finds! Glad you came up with some neat stuff! ;) BTW, I also had the same thought when reading what you said...who loses a machete? Answer is no one! So why would someone put it there to hide it and never come back for it? Of course somethings not right here. Crime yes, murder maybe not. But after seeing SOOOO MANY CSI and all the other shows out there ... that have some basic truth to the weirdness going on ...who knows? If you get any weird stuff going on at night in your house ...guess, you may know ? Mmm? Just a thought. :o Not that I believe in ghost ...but I do believe you can get a feeling about stuff! ::)

H.H and let us know if you came up with any more ideas about the machete?
Gigi

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I thnk about, the more I am convinced someone buried it there on purpose. I don't think it was involved in a crime. It doesn't look like it's been there more than a few months at most, and I'm sure there are no unsolved machete murders near here. Maybe some kids swiped it from the Dads garage and didn't want to get caught with it and dumped it. Who knows? I'm gonna clean it up and sharpen it and throw it in my tool shed. It might even find it useful someday, lol!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great finds!! Thats what id do with it! I have one i got at a flea market for 4 bucks and its nice sturdy constructing and i use it every now and then...Once i even attacked a rotting pumpkin with it :P

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found Jason's hack em, and slash em machete ;D

See anyone wearing a hockey mask in the area while detecting out there!?

cool finds,

HH

Lonewolfe

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad and I found a machete and a case last month when we were metal detecting. Sooooo......at least two people have lost machetes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread