CW hunt yields capped bust silver!

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have been detecting for about 30 years, two months ago I got my very first capped bust silver.... a quarter. The only problem was it had been holed right where the date was. Still it was a capped bust silver. Today I got my second! I went CW relic hunting today and the day was going pretty slow with only a 44 cal pistol ball to show for my efforts. After digging way to many 22 casings and shotgun shell hulls, I finally got a good reading on my Teknetics Omega of 77-81. I figured it to be a minie ball and was surprised to see a heavily dirt encrusted coin in the dirt pile. I could see it was silver but didn't want to wipe the dirt off and scratch it. I noticed it was smaller than a dime so I figured it was a seated half dime lost by a Union soldier. Driving home I couldn't stand it anymore and pulled into a gas station to wash it off. I almost let out a yell in the gas station rest room when the water revealed a 1835 capped bust half dime in not bad condition! This is now my oldest American silver I have found. Tomorrow a friend and I are back in there looking for more. HH everybody.

Attachments

• 22oct1.JPG
    22oct1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 823
  • 22oct2.JPG
    22oct2.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 824
  • 22oct3.JPG
    22oct3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 819
  • 22oct4.JPG
    22oct4.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 806
  • 22oct5.JPG
    22oct5.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 811
  • 22oct6.JPG
    22oct6.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 810
  • 22oct7.JPG
    22oct7.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

sweet coin.. took my pard from last year out to a site and he got the same coin :D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a sweet find down there in cincy :hello2: I hope to find one of those someday ::) Good luck Sat. Supposed to be darn near 80 by Sunday. Enjoy :icon_sunny:

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Seky,
That is a really cool find. I think the bust silvers are my favorite American coins. I have one site I am picking away at currently that has the potential to put me into the bust era.
I hope you find another bust tomorrow.
Btw, how deep was it?
Congrats again!
T-man

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a nice oldie!!! MR TUFF

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a Ohio CW camp, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Nice coin, love to find one in that shape. Great find, Congrats

HH, Ringfinder

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your capped bust series of coins is one of my fav looking out of all your coins :headbang:

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
Manticore, XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mt), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
Great looking coin, really good condition. Really a nice find...... Congratulations :icon_thumleft:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding recovery! I know what you mean about needing to stop on your way home to clean up that big find. I've visited a McDonalds restroom before to do the same thing. The curiosity just kills me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread