(Troiani Confirmed) NY State Thick Gold Guilt Button/Civil War

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
(Update - button expert Don Troiani just confirmed by email NYS Civil War button.)
Another reason this site is great is reading other posts it gets you thinking about your own finds that maybe you overlooked they could be better than first thought. I saw some nice military buttons posted recently and realized I hadn't paid as much attention to my button finds as I have always done with my coin finds. I knew I had at least one button with a cool shield that could be military. Just found it and cleaned it, was pleased to find a nice gold guilt under the dirt. The shield has an eagle or bird above it and what looks like flower or starburst on left side inside shield above what looks to be ?? hard to see, maybe crossed something looking like V or X. On right side inside the shield there are vertical stripes, maybe a hanging flag (looks like 12 small stars above the stripes/I suspect there must really be 13 stars for the colonies). It's thick like a bottle cap and even looks a bit like one, see side view. Back is not pictured because you can't read it in a photo but as best I can see it reads JOHN T BOTL or DOTL or now that I look again probably BOVL. Other writing there but I can't read it. Any help on this would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• button.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 508
  • button2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Re: Thick Gold Guilt Button/Military?

Looks like a State of New York Button, maybe Civil War!
REB

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Meant to say it was found in NY, thanks 55th Mass

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yup, New York, I found the same button and it was my first button find. I didnt know what I had at first either.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find but, :dontknow: I've nothing to offer :icon_scratch: SORRY!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bergie, here is what is said in "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn & Bazelon

John F. Boylan, Newark, NJ & later NYC, 135-139 Grand St. Civil War contractor & clothing dealer in Newark who moved to NYC in 1869 & lasted to after 1900. In 1864 Boylan ordered "army" & 13th NY Regt. buttons from Scovill but no b/m's are known with the Newark address. Boylan was listed in 1881 as a military goods dealer in NY & the buttons with his b/m are post-CW.

Not sure if the authors are saying none of the buttons are Civil War era with his backmark or not, but appears to say that. :dontknow:

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread