CW Relic Hunting in Alabama

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not asking for help in finding sites, just some insight from those members that have been relic hunting in this state for quite a while. One of the problems I seem to keep running up against is that many of the sites I've located through research have been destroyed through land modification or development. Its where I'm convinced that if I cannot locate a set of woods reasonably close to where the site should be, its probably not worth bothering. Is anyone else running up against this?

TreasureRats

Greenie
Jan 17, 2009
Bon Secour
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Hey BamaBill
I feel your pain, I am south alabama, baldwin co., and you are right, all the best spots seem to be built over. Down here getting permission is like pulling teeth, even when there is nothing on the property. I dont know if it is ignorance or just plain bad attitudes, I had a woman literally yell at me on the phone when I asked to hunt her empty lot on the north side of Ft Morgan rd. I apologized ALOT and said I would never call her again. Although she sounded much older, maybe she wont be around much longer and I will call the new owners. lol sorry to be so mean.... As you may have seen there are several guys in and close to Cullman that hunt alot and alway love to meet new mders. If you ever make it down here give me a PM and we will hit a couple of sites.
TreasureRats

DixieHunter145

Oct 12, 2008
Hanceville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 w/ YF-1 Invader Probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey im an MD'er from Cullman and TreasureRat speaks the truth, if your ever in Cullman let us know

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Although I have never hunted for cw relics,I have managed to find 30+ bullets mostly three-ringer drops but to include a couple of carved and a .69 cal and 2 ringer.If you know the routes travelled or the areas occupied just look for open areas preferably close to water and start sweeping .You just never know.Found a gunsling buckle on top of the ground in a gulley wash(not detecting)which is another way to locate sites.DBULL!

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
BamaBill, my two cents....

The places I hunt are from years of doing research and talking to the oldtimers and developing relationships. Here in Baldwin County no one is going to let you hunt their property unless they know you. Most of my sites are from people I met at Church or the farm co-op. I use my finds to do history lessons at schools and I have a good relationship with the local museums. If they understand you will share some knowledge with them they are more willing to share knowledge with you.

I have some great relationships with some people on this site as I have grown to trust them and them trust me. This is a huge advantage to get advise and develop strategies.

In short, there are no easy short cuts and some good detective work can go a long way. I will look through my notes and see if I have any areas you might want to check out.

MichaelB

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Swamphunter, you gave me some things to think about. As I said earlier, my problem is not the research or getting permission (batting 1000 there), its the number of sites I walk into and start detecting and after few hours of digging and looking at the topography it becomes clear that somebody with a bulldozer leveled the ground at some point or brought in a lot of fill dirt, or walking into an area where there ought to be a site only to discover somebody has built a house on it. No, I'm not giving up, but it does get frustrating putting all this work into it and not having anything to show for it. Upside is I know more about the history of this area than most folks and I'm not originally from here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread