Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today after work, I joined Bill (B|ker) and Bob (rwsnc) to MD at the spot that is being cleared by my work. I wasn't at this site more than 5 minutes and I dug my 2nd knapsack hook for the week. :thumbsup: Bill had an hour jump on us, and we found him on a lower section down by the river with an empty bag for his efforts. :tongue3:
Once I assured him there is stuff at this site to be found, we headed back up to higher ground where all of the bullets, relics, and arrowheads have been found. Once I dug my 2nd bullet, those two rookies came to my area to join in the fun. :wink: I dropped a bullet to see if their detectors were tuned in correctly and what they read. Sure enough that was the problem, and reason they hadn't found anything up to that point. After that, we continued to grid off about a 50' wide area, and were popping out bullets at a steady pace.
Bob dug his very first CW bullet (3-ringer) today!!! Congrats Bob!!! :thumbsup:
It was truly a hot spot for CW relics. A camp I figure. Next Bob got a nice signal, and dug a CW belt keeper!!! You lucky dog. :wink: He was generous enough to give it to me for my collection of relics since the CW finds aren't his thing. Bob is a diehard coin hunter. ;D It was a bit ironic that my next dig was an SLQ!!! Unfortunately it has no date & is pretty worn. I was very excited to find it though, since that is my first coin from this spot. I was hoping for a reale, but the SLQ is just fine. :thumbsup:
Bill scored some nice lead, and the first button from this site so far. Congrats Bill. :thumbsup:
We had a lot of fun today, and all found some great stuff. There will be lots more to cover as this site progresses.
Thanks for looking & have a great w/end.
-MM-

Attachments

• Today\'s total.jpg
    Today\'s total.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,216
  • MVC-144S.JPG
    MVC-144S.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • MVC-145S.JPG
    MVC-145S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,226
  • MVC-146S.JPG
    MVC-146S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • MVC-147S.JPG
    MVC-147S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • MVC-148S.JPG
    MVC-148S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,212
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Fresh CW site is a BEAUTIFUL thing Doug.....You all did very well.Like BB was saying,try and find a map,something to tell you who was there and why.Not everything was made of brass for both side's so you can figure out what to dig and what not to dig.The William's(minus the zinc stud) you found along with the .58 look's to be "humanly manipulated" :wink: I'm sure this place will be giving up more,can't wait.....Congrat's on the SLQ as well......Love the Find's!!! :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Doug :thumbsup: You always seem to find the right spots for everything..relics, coins, whatever..that's one nice hunt man, you should be very happy with that one!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and hope you sweep the coil over more goodies in the days ahead.

Nat

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak said:
very nice job on the SLQ! :) The buckel looks pretty awesome too! :) Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Thanks DF.
I couldn't believe I found a silver coin finally. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Natman said:
WTG Doug :thumbsup: You always seem to find the right spots for everything..relics, coins, whatever..that's one nice hunt man, you should be very happy with that one!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and hope you sweep the coil over more goodies in the days ahead.
Nat

Thanks Nat.
I'm fortunate enough to work right in the center of this CW activity area. The three areas I hunt are within about 1/2 mile radius were all part of one 640 acre plantation property. Those woods have to be full of relics.
Have a great w/end.
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Nice work, you two! :thumbsup:
There could be a plate out there somewhere. :o

ModernMiner said:
It was truly a hot spot for CW relics. A camp I figure.

At this point it sounds like you need to do the research and find out Who was there and what they were there for--your finds will likely improve as a result!
If you need any pointers, drop me a line.
-Buckles

civilman1 said:
A Fresh CW site is a BEAUTIFUL thing Doug.....You all did very well.Like BB was saying,try and find a map,something to tell you who was there and why.Not everything was made of brass for both side's so you can figure out what to dig and what not to dig.The William's(minus the zinc stud) you found along with the .58 look's to be "humanly manipulated" :wink: I'm sure this place will be giving up more,can't wait.....Congrat's on the SLQ as well......Love the Find's!!! :thumbsup:

BB and Civil,
Thanks for the replies. Facts I know so far are:
1) All three of the properties I hunt including this new spot were at one time part of the 640 acre plantation house I hunt. (circa 1770's)

2) The old plank road ran in front of the plantation house, as told by the current owner. It has been in their family for over 100 years.
I was shown where the old road used to run also on another property & was told there was some sort of station set up on that property. Unfortunately, that property owner hasn't granted me permission yet, but I did leave them my name & # in case they change their minds.
That property is literally almost across the street from this new site I've been hitting.

3) I was told Sherman's troops camped on this plantation property in April 1865 on their way to Johnston's surrender at the Bennett House in Durham which is very close. Sherman, I was told also stayed in this plantation house. Here's some info on the Bennett House & surrender:
http://www.nchistoricsites.org/bennett/

*Just another note... The 1830's house I MD at in Morrisville had a one day battle right there on the property on April 13th, 1865.
Morrisville is only about 15 miles from this plantation house.

4) On these properties there are a lot of streams & creeks which I'm sure supplied water for to troops & horses. Also Indians I'm assuming since we have found three arrowheads at this new sot so far.

5) I haven't been able to confirm any skirmish on this original 640 acre property, and my bullets are mostly drops except for a few strange looking ones on this post. The only possible hint I have of a skirmish was the cannon ball chunk I found last year down the road. It was also part of the original 640 acres. I've found lots of gold gilt buttons, bullets, relics, rings, locks, etc. on that spot too.
Here's my cannon ball chunk:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,112486.msg819267.html#msg819267

I've found two SC state seal buttons and one NC state seal buttons along with about 60 other fancy ones and I forget how many flat buttons. :icon_scratch:

Here are the pictures of my bullets & lead so far. Most are 3-ringers & Enfields. Can you tell anything by these?

I haven't been able to find an old map of the area so I would definitely appreciate any help you could offer me on that.
I would love to see what the maps shows.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm just hoping this is the tip of the iceberg.
My only fear is that a lot of these finds may be too deep to detect. ??? I've been fortunate on this spot to have about 8" of the top layer (pinestraw, mulch, branches, dirt, etc.) scraped away by the bulldozers. All of these finds, including the SLQ were in a lighter colored sandy type soil underneath the scraped layer. Even in the lighter soil the finds were anywhere from 2"-8" deep.

I appreciate any input or tips you guys may have, as I value your experience on these CW finds.

Thanks Guys,
Doug

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I bet that silver looked great when you first saw it.

HH Jer

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Congrats on the SLQ! Yeah, the date's worn off, but it's still yours!

Thanks HD. The thrill of finding the coin was worth more than the coin itself. :tongue3:
-MM-

JerDfx said:
Nice finds,

I bet that silver looked great when you first saw it.

HH Jer

Jer,
I couldn't believe it when I saw that wonderful silver rim. I'm glad Bill & Bob were there to witness it. It made it ever more exciting. I should have brough my darn video camera. :wink:
-MM-

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Doug for the invite to this area.
I still cant believe that cleaner rang as zinc / penny / on my machine.

Thanks again Debz for the water and photos.

I think that the soldiers were doing a little target practice leaving all those cleaners around.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Great finds all around, especially the SLQ.
I wish I could find the designer of that coin ang give him/her a piece of my mind about the date mark!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B|lker said:
Thanks again Doug for the invite to this area.
I still cant believe that cleaner rang as zinc / penny / on my machine.

Thanks again Debz for the water and photos.

I think that the soldiers were doing a little target practice leaving all those cleaners around.

Bill,
Maybe they were using the CW slingshot we found? :tongue3:
-Doug-

radarwill said:
Great finds all around, especially the SLQ.
I wish I could find the designer of that coin ang give him/her a piece of my mind about the date mark!!

;D ;D ;D
Same guy that designed the Buffalo nickel? :wink:
Thanks,
MM

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Doug, I knew you would find more goodies at that site!

Congrats on your SLQ and your second knapsack hook. :thumbsup: Let's see some 1800's silver from that place. ::)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Awesome finds MM!!! Hope it's just the tip of the iceberg for you as well! Just out of curiosity, you ever md down by the Uwharrie or Yadkin rivers? Heard the banks are a great place to hunt. I'd imagine a boat would be needed though...

Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Doug, I knew you would find more goodies at that site!

Congrats on your SLQ and your second knapsack hook. :thumbsup: Let's see some 1800's silver from that place. ::)
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan.
I still need an LC to beat Nick on our bet, and an 1800's silver to meet my 08' goal. Wish me luck. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice day of diggin! The all mighty belt plate keeper, some nice lead, and a pretty Silver Quarter! Nice digs Doug :wink:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
Awesome finds MM!!! Hope it's just the tip of the iceberg for you as well! Just out of curiosity, you ever md down by the Uwharrie or Yadkin rivers? Heard the banks are a great place to hunt. I'd imagine a boat would be needed though...

Happy Hunting!

Thanks DD.
No, I've never MDed over that way yet. Let me know how you do if you ever give it a shot.
-Doug-

{Sentinel} said:
Very Nice day of diggin! The all mighty belt plate keeper, some nice lead, and a pretty Silver Quarter! Nice digs Doug :wink:

Thanks Josh.
I scored my first two knapsack hooks too this week. Ya-hooooo!
-Doug-

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet relics, as usual, Doug! WTG :thumbsup: Love that SLQ......if she could talk, the stories she'd tell. :icon_queen:

Keep digging!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
Sweet relics, as usual, Doug! WTG :thumbsup: Love that SLQ......if she could talk, the stories she'd tell. :icon_queen:

Keep digging!

Thanks Anne.
I'm going to see if I can bribe the bulldozer operator to "accidently" scape off another section for me. :thumbsup: :tongue3:
-Doug-

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
CW belt keeper? Looks like junk to me. :wink: ;D :tongue3: Probably worth more than the SLQ. :D

Nate and I were just talking about how we haven't found a SLQ this year yet. They are fun to find even if they are barely recognizable. 8)

Bob

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM! :o You guys are wearing that place out!! 8) Awesome finds!!! Congrats on the CW AND the silver!! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread