CW Soldier art + carved and whittled CW bullets from Tennessee. New info !!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started MD for CW relics about 13 years ago. Pictured below are some of the pieces of soldier art and carved bullets that I have recovered from CSA and USA sites in Tennessee where bored soldiers sat around picket posts and camps. Please note the little Scottie Dog that I almost discarded as campfire lead. A local relic expert told me that a soldier had taken a piece of warm lead from a bullet and shaped it into that shape. Also, note the chess pieces and round poker chip made from a bullet. I would recommend that you examine campfire lead closely. Recently, Dman found what looked like a melted bullet but after cleaning, it was a nice carved bullet. In this area, only 1 of 75-100 bullets recovered have been whittled, shaped, or altered by CW Soldiers. Regards and good hunting from rainy Tennessee.
NEW INFO- I forgot to mention that on the top row, 3rd and 4th .69 cal 3 ringer bullets notched on the base were found by me in the same US Infantry camp only 50 ft. apart. What are the odds that they were both carved by the same soldier????

Attachments

• Carved Bullets.jpg
    Carved Bullets.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,159
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my first CW bullet find was a a 32 smith and wesson rimfire --(most likely a guy on picket duty along the river was trying to make a fishing weight out of it ) --- it was cut long ways with a knife and the the fellow used a pair of pliers in a attempt to close the fishing wieght (twice)--one long ways then on a slant ( YOU CAN SEE THE BITE MARKS OF THE PLIERS on it clearly) my wife snagged it along with two civil war REPRODUCTION buttons that I had --a union eagle A artillery button and a firmin back marked CSN button to use in her show and tell at school for when she does her civil war music talk --during her 3rd to 5th grade class --the kids love looking at them.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Is that the lead pencil ou found in the Yankee camp?
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman said:
Is that the lead pencil you found in the Yankee camp?
Dman
Yes, that is one of the several "lead" pencils that I have found. I was told that CW soldiers would fashion a "pencil' from lead and rub them on charcoal from campfires to mark on writing paper in the absence of ink. The late Sam White of Chester, VA. who was recently killed told me this. Thanks for looking and good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread