CX III, worth it or should I keep looking?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an older machine but still has advantages that make it worth considering.

All metal (non motion) is a good deep mode with the stock coil. If wanting to go deeper for cache hunting/relics you have the option of tuning it into a two box detector.
In discrimination it has very little iron bias and will be a little noisy over rejected iron though there's no doubt that it is iron. The plus side is that it has a quick recovery speed and doesn't suffer to badly from target masking.
On negatively mineralised clay you retain depth in the non motion mode but discrimination accuracy goes downhill. My old XLT was far better.

Lots of features, some good like the two tone audio options and others that are best turned off, like surface blanking and the audio description.
I've a feeling that the ground tracking (which works well) only operates in all metal and is fixed in discrimination in the same way as with the Tesoro Lobo Supertrac.

Not a machine for wet beach use and I would check with Garrett what the repair situation is before parting with any money.

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Thank you for the information. It sounds like a detector that will work well alongside my Vaquero. I was confused at first, but it looks to me like they are still making this detector under a different model name.

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned all of the master hunter series from Garrett at one time or another including the CX III. And so you know, Garrett still does repair work on it and tune ups. So you will have no worries there. They still have alot of parts for it. And yes, the series is continued, though with some big differences in the new ones. The GTI 2500 is the latest in the familiar line though its much different in the electronics now though users of the CX III and even the CX II dont have much of a learning curve when going to the 2500.

What UK Brian said is true...turn off treasure talk. It affects recovery speed and can be a pain to listen to. I do disagree with him on the surface blanking. Surface blanking can come in handy. I do use it sometimes with my 2500 and have in the past with the CXIII. There are times, where its nice not getting the surface junk signals or if you only want to dig the deeper signals. You do get some falseing even with the surface blanking so its not perfect. But it does have its uses. I just got rid of my CX III last year and was using it up till then. Initially I hadnt sold it. It was stolen...but it was recovered a few months later in a pawn shop..so was happy. I sent it to Garraett for a tuneup and check, and they replaced the screen and tuned it up for me all for 25.00 bucks so I was a happy camper.

250 is a decent price for one in good condition and I have seen them go for more with additional coils. I would try to get the price down. You might get an even better price. UK Brian does know what he is talking about though on it. He is a fountain of good information and I just had a VERY interesting talk with him on the whites DFX. I think he has got to be an engineer or techy at least. He knows his stuff. Course...so do i....<laugh> You can stop laughing now Brian.

Good luck on the CXIII. I didnt look at the dates of your post so I hope I am not too far behind. :icon_sunny:

GreatWhite00 said:
Thank you for the information. It sounds like a detector that will work well alongside my Vaquero. I was confused at first, but it looks to me like they are still making this detector under a different model name.

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Old goldchaser,

This detector was going to be for my dad. I still have the Vaquero. The only thing I am worried about are the "C" batteries. Harbour Freight has them for cheap, $5.99 a pair. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47441

This detector needs 6, so that wouldn't be too bad. I read the manual online and this machine will work with rechargeables. I don't know how good Harbour Freight rechargeables are, never had any. I know my Tesoro manual says not to use rechargeables.

I don't think he'll use the treasure talk feature, but he seems to like the idea of having a "screen", as my Tesoro is all knobs.

The guy said he would take $200, not bad , in my opinion. I guess whatever happens, happens. I just want a day off of work to go use mine already. I haven't been out yet this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread