My ace250 tells me theres silver in my backyard...uhuh

Odin

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008
E-ville,IN,USA
Detector(s) used
ACE250
My ace250 tells me there's silver in my backyard...uhuh

I live in a heavily wooded lot in a urban area that was only developed starting in the 1970's. The owner(landlady) said the property has been in her family for over a hundred years and was never used until the 2 houses were built. So far I've only found some odd brass link and some copper tube,the strong signal I get for silver looks like a tree once stood there.

The ID bounces between .50 and $1 and says 6 inches for depth...can't find anything at that depth and it keeps giving me 6 inches and sometimes 8+ the hole is at least 7 inches wide and still nothing. I'm confused.

Setting's are jewelry/coins,4 bars sensitivity and I put fresh batteries in today. Pinpoint says something is in the ground in the center of the hole and it keeps giving me those sweet ding's of silver. And the coil is the standard one and no I don't have a hand held pin pointer.

The fresh batteries are due to the fact the others were dead when I got to the park down the street :angry5:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My ace250 tells me there's silver in my backyard...uhuh

It's not at all unusual for large cans and other non-silver items to ring up as silver. More than likely it is junk or it is burried fairly deep. The depth reading on your detector is just a guess that is based on what type of item the detector thinks it is. So basically, the detector first tries to determine the material based on the phase shift (or some other principle) and then uses what it knows about that type of target to determine how deep it must be. If it's first guess about the type of object is wrong then so is the depth in most cases.

Try digging deeper. If it really is silver then it is likely pretty deep. But more than likely it is an old can or something that is looking like silver but really isn't. And if you dig deeper and find a big silver cache, don't forget to remember the guy (me) who told you to keep digging! :wink:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ok dissovled aluminum foil will still ring up -- a "patch" of minerals can fool the machine into thinking metal is there ---dissolved iron objects the "rust" left behind in the soil can fool it too.

the metal detecting machine does not "lie" --its not a person -- people lie --however --it can misinterpet the data / feed back it receives

the electical conductivity is how a metal detector "decides" what metal its found and via other data helps it "decide" depth as well --- these are best "guesses" based upon the data it recieves --it can be fooled -- higher end machines have more advanced curcuits that tend to make it "guess" a bit more accuritely -- but no machine is 100% fool proof -- many metal object share very close "metal conductivity ranges" -- aluminum pulltabs and gold rings --- zinc cents and indain head cents -- and so on

you see the machine makes a "electrically charged" feild under its coil -- as the feild goes over the land --the electrically "conductive" metals in the ground "disturb" this feild --the machine picks up the distrubance and beeps -- the closer you get the more "distrubed" it gets --beep beep BEEP beep beep

however many things can bother that feild --high power lines that "bleed" of excess electric energy for one -- large amount of minerals often mimic metal ( salt water at the beach --has lots of mineral in it *) -- high mineral ground areas (hot rocks and such)--- often the only cure if it acting odd is to drop the sensitivy level a little bit( but only as much as needed to smooth it out -- because dropping sensitivity (power pushed out) will lose a bit of depth ) --so drop the sensitivy / power level till its not quite as touchy and thus usible is the smart move often -- in some really bad places it might not work however )(for those areas a "manually gound balancible machine" is needed (these are more costly as a rule )
hope this helps you out

DanB

Oct 23, 2007

get use to digging empty holes :laughing9:.......it goes hand in hand with a Garrett ace 250...... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: trust me when I say this... I know from experience.....I "USE TO".......use one.......thank god my hair grows quick...... other wise I would be BALD :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

here is a tip... hunt in coin mode and turn sensitivity down 2 bars.....you will find more coins and less junk..... :thumbsup:

good luck & HH

db

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DanB said:
get use to digging empty holes :laughing9:.......it goes hand in hand with a Garrett ace 250...... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: trust me when I say this... I know from experience.....I "USE TO".......use one.......thank god my hair grows quick...... other wise I would be BALD :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

here is a tip... hunt in coin mode and turn sensitivity down 2 bars.....you will find more coins and less junk..... :thumbsup:

good luck & HH

db
Yup turn sensitivity down , I always run it at 2 0r 3 bars with the stock coil.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

The more you use your 250, the better you will understand what your detector is telling you. I dug two can lids today that showed up as silver. Most silver is very repeatable and produces a clear tone. With any detector, you just have to dig. If you don't, you will miss good finds. It's just the way it is. The 250 is a low priced detector and performs like a higher priced detector. The expensive detectors may give you more info, but many have a long learning curve. In the end, no detector is infallible.

Best Regards, John K

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx

I dug a hole just like that last time out. you get to do it a lot with the 250 but it is a good machine just enjoy the time in the dirt. when i can i will upgrade but last year I dug about 350.00 and about 25 silver rings, 1 gold. keep hunting and dig it like a pirate.

B

BigDan

I say blame the guy...

...who put the can in the ground. I was cheap and bought an ACE 150. (Truth is I plan on giving it to either my stepdaughter or wife and moving up, I knew they would both want one and didn't want to spend higher dollars on it. I also had to buy one NOW for myself and wasn't ready to spend more money.)

I can't believe the depth. Seriously, my ghost town in a farm field has objects like square nails eight inches down that I'm digging up. I use the machine on two bars for sensitivity, and when I get tired of iron (not often..some cool stuff) I switch to coin mode. This week I dug up the cap ends of four shot gun shells, and had some holes where I lost the signal.

I look at it this way, when I finally hit the invisible house in that field where someone had holes in their pockets...my machine will certainly find the silver. I've just got to be patient and keep digging.

Big Dan

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DanB said:

good luck & HH

db

Weird, if mine says there is a target, there is a target...It does not always ID correctly tho, aluminum cans will hit coin range often..Also, you can dig beer cans from extreme depths......I do not get very many, if any instances of something not being in the ground...Sometimes the bits of metal are very small, and hard to see...Just dig a bigger hole, since it is in your yard...LOL...good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread