Cyberdan, Diggumup, Turtle Treasures need your help

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
I try to start and end my auctions late in the afternoon, so both east and west coaster's will be awake. Also, most action for my auctions occur on the weekends, specifically on Sunday. Hence, I start mine on Monday afternoons. For what it's worth.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on who I am trying to target for my sales.

I don't do too many auctions, but when I do them I list on Thursdays around 7pm western time and do 10 days so it ends on Sunday evening. I don't know about anyone else, but Sundays seem to be the best sale day.

7pm on west coast time (where I am at) give the east coasters a chance to bid before it gets too late.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
buy it nows are the way to go... usually i start at my highest price i think someone would pay, then if it doesnt sell after a day or so, i drop it down some amount, and by that time i usually have watchers that will hurry up and buy it, since its now a bargain :laughing7:

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
brendan1414 said:
buy it nows are the way to go... usually i start at my highest price i think someone would pay, then if it doesnt sell after a day or so, i drop it down some amount, and by that time i usually have watchers that will hurry up and buy it, since its now a bargain :laughing7:
We already had this discussion ... I do not want buy it nows.. if I did I would just do a ebay store....

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
reapp said:
I try to start and end my auctions late in the afternoon, so both east and west coaster's will be awake. Also, most action for my auctions occur on the weekends, specifically on Sunday. Hence, I start mine on Monday afternoons. For what it's worth.
Sunday evening seems to be the target to end a auction? i am still a li confused how the 7 days work I am assuming if I start sunday 5pm it will end the following sunday 5pm?

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
reapp said:
Sunday evening seems to be the target to end a auction? i am still a li confused how the 7 days work I am assuming if I start sunday 5pm it will end the following sunday 5pm?

Exactly. If you start your auction on Sunday at 5 pm, it will end the following Sunday at 5 pm.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I wasn't asked, and I sell 99% U.S. coins and precious metals, but I swear by Thurs. night and I try to have it end about 8-8:30 east coast time. I might miss a late bid by a left coaster, in transit home, but I don't have to pay as much in shipping to the eastern half of the U.S. either as I live in N. Eng. I know a lot of people swear by the Sunday evening thing, but I have never had as much luck with my merchandise at that time. In fact, I love to buy coins, silver and gold on Ebay from mid afternoon to early evening. Stuff seems to really go cheap then, or atleast the stuff I am interested in, again, coins and precious metals atleast. I did pass this on to Cyber Dan once in a ph. call and he said he was going to try it, but I don't know if he found it as good of a time as I do. Hope this helps in some way. T.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best time to start an auction is on Tuesday or Wednesday at 7:30pm Central Time. If you are on the left coast, that means 5:30pm, East coast would be 8:30pm. (seven day auction)
The reasoning is that on these days more people will likely be home in the evening when your auction ends. The 7:30 start time (that's Central for me) ensures that folks in all time zones will still be up and shopping at auction end.
I've been doing this for over ten years and it works.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that trying to post at the best time for your buyers is a good idea, however, I sell in the USA and international. The internet allows almost anyone to participate in the global economy. Some items I sell almost always are purchased by european buyers, so trying to figure out their dinner time is a bit pointless! Either way, I know 5:30 is dinner time for me (and a lot of the rest of the WEST coasters). You know how many auctions I have missed out on because I was making dinner / eating? I can think of 5 or 6 in the past week. I would rather eat than bid on something (which is good, or else Mrs. Turtle would stop making me food.)

I am glad I only do BIN then I don't have to worry about this stuff. :read2:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
famous turtle treasures said:
I agree that trying to post at the best time for your buyers is a good idea, however, I sell in the USA and international. The internet allows almost anyone to participate in the global economy. Some items I sell almost always are purchased by european buyers, so trying to figure out their dinner time is a bit pointless! Either way, I know 5:30 is dinner time for me (and a lot of the rest of the WEST coasters). You know how many auctions I have missed out on because I was making dinner / eating? I can think of 5 or 6 in the past week. I would rather eat than bid on something (which is good, or else Mrs. Turtle would stop making me food.)

I am glad I only do BIN then I don't have to worry about this stuff. :read2:

The OP asked what the best times and days to maximize profits on eBay auctions. The tips I provided are tried and true methods that are recommended by the eBay community at large. I don't think he was looking to over-complicate things with European dinner times.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I list mine on Sun., Mon., and Tues. usually. I set them to end at 7pm pacific time. My international buyers have never let me down when it came to bidding on something they want and my auction ending time. Some of my best sales have come from Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England and even Hong Kong. Knock on wood but I haven't had a problem yet with an overseas buyer not receiving their item, though only 40-50 of my sales have been from overseas. I think you only have delivery confirmation on International mail with express or priority international.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in awhile I will have an item that is slow to reach its destination due to customs, but I have never had an issue with a missing package. The to get delivery confirmation use priority or express like diggummup said. The customs number is your tracking number, but I can't remember off the top of my head if it will track the package past customs. There's no tracking for first class packages. Also if you use priority you will not be charged if an item gets returned to you. If an item gets returned first class you will get charged when you go to pick it up, unless you choose treat as abandoned on the customs form.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CladSpends2 said:
I swear by Thurs. night and I try to have it end about 8-8:30 east coast time.

I did pass this on to Cyber Dan once in a ph. call and he said he was going to try it, but I don't know if he found it as good of a time as I do.

Tory, now that you mention it I do remember something about a middle of the week start/end time. I never did try it, slipped my mind. I do have 24 auctions going now. Most started on Saturday @ 8pm and my gold recovery computer parts auctions started sunday evening.

I have been meaning to put up some rolls of steel cents (some uncl) might try that this week.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
CladSpends2 said:
I swear by Thurs. night and I try to have it end about 8-8:30 east coast time.

I did pass this on to Cyber Dan once in a ph. call and he said he was going to try it, but I don't know if he found it as good of a time as I do.

Tory, now that you mention it I do remember something about a middle of the week start/end time. I never did try it, slipped my mind. I do have 24 auctions going now. Most started on Saturday @ 8pm and my gold recovery computer parts auctions started sunday evening.

I have been meaning to put up some rolls of steel cents (some uncl) might try that this week.
From what i've heard in the past Friday and Sat. nights are the worst because many people are busy during those times. Going out to dinner, shopping, entertainment, movies (not that many people go to the movies anymore) etc.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
I list mine on Sun., Mon., and Tues. usually. I set them to end at 7pm pacific time. My international buyers have never let me down when it came to bidding on something they want and my auction ending time. Some of my best sales have come from Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England and even Hong Kong. Knock on wood but I haven't had a problem yet with an overseas buyer not receiving their item, though only 40-50 of my sales have been from overseas. I think you only have delivery confirmation on International mail with express or priority international.
That is pretty much what I did lastnight, I didn;'t see your reply til this morning..i winged it...lol thanks for the help duggumup

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
From what i've heard in the past Friday and Sat. nights are the worst because many people are busy during those times. Going out to dinner, shopping, entertainment, movies (not that many people go to the movies anymore) etc.

Maybe that is why Thurs. night works so well for me. It is nearly the weekend, the end is in sight, they are getting paid the next day and it isn't "date night". I swear, I get more for the same item than I see the same item going for any other time. I have actually bought a coin on a Monday, re-listed it the next Monday for a 3 day auction to end Thurs. evening and made enough money to show a profit even after Fee bay charges. Not often, but I have done it. T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread