CZ 21 and a Tiger Shark

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a previous post I was considering trading my XLT for an AT Pro. I have decided to keep the XLT and go with a dedicated water machine. I've been looking closely at the Tiger Shark and the CZ 21. With a machine that is half the cost, what (if anything) am I giving up by getting the Tesoro? I live in Michigan so it would be strictly for fresh water. How do these two units compare in depth, sensitivity to targets, and ease of use (ergonomically) in the water? Any suggestions as to coil choices? Thanks for any and all input!

Travis

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Travis, you sure know how to stir up a hornets nest.

I have the CZ-20 and a Tiger Shark and live in MI. full time now and can only hunt fresh water now. Both these detectors are great with depth going to the CZ-21 till you install the optional larger coil on the Tiger shark so the coils are the same size. Course now all Tesoro water detectors are hard wired.
In salt water the CZ takes over for depth and stability. Both are built like tanks and high quality materials and I've dove with both to over 100 feet with no leaks since they are both rated for 250 ft. The Fisher has batteries in a separate battery comp which is a plus if you are not careful closing the comp door.

The Tiger is better at finding those small gold chains and tiny charms than the 21. Both have cables long enough for chest mounting the controls which is how I like it. The Tiger has one tone for a target while the CZ has High, Mid, Low and Overload. With the CZ I like to only scoop the mid tones at busy beaches and leave the coins for the newbies while I get all the gold rings and pull tabs. Not to many swimmers take their beer out in the water with them. I sometimes hunt in Autotune mode which is all metal on the CZ and it is almost as good as the Tesoro's All Metal which has two speeds plus disc.

Your a winner which ever you choose, but Tesoro has the lifetime warranty which is a definite PLUS. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
triplehooked

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman,
That's pretty much what I'm looking for.... It's not my intention to stir up trouble... ::) but with 9 year old triplets and a Spectra already budgeted for spring, I need to get the best bang for the buck! We haven't even talked about scoops yet.... ;D It's too bad the Tesoro's are hardwired now, I'd like to try the cleansweep! I'd probably lean towards the 10" coil for the ground coverage and more depth. Hopefully it wouldn't wear me out with a larger coil. Thanks for the response.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't stir up anything except with me trying to give best info without bias. I like them both.
The Clean Sweep isn't available for the Tiger Shark anymore and like an idiot I sold mine and now can't find one for the Tiger. As for scoops, I've use many and now only use the Sunspot Stealth. They come in two sizes and own both sizes and can't decide which one to take with me. I epoxied two magnets behind the small holes to stop earring studs from sliding to the larger holes and falling through.

Attachments

• Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 549
  • Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 521
OP
OP
triplehooked

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Stealth's are nice looking scoops. It's nice that they are a local business, too. I like the magnet idea. You have both sizes, then? I was contemplating between the two, but would probably go with the larger one...
I was out on the Lake Michigan beaches quite a bit this past summer dry sand hunting and was talking with one of the water hunting guys. We got to talking about our finds I showed him a pocket full of clad and some junk belly button rings (they are everywhere), and he held out his hand with four rings on it! He said it was an average hunt for the area during peak summer months.. He kinda made a water hunter out of me on the spot! The water guys were all using either Excals. or the CZ21. Which was why I was asking about the Tiger Shark. I didn't see a single Tesoro out there other than my Vaquero.... Thanks for the pics and the input!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are only going to hunt fresh water, don't dismiss the Fisher 1280. It is a single frequence machine and I've found lots of rings with it. It isn't as deep as the CZ21 by about 2" but lots cheaper too. It is a turn on and go with a preset GB which works good in MI. Just adjust disc to miss hairpins and go at it using the larger coil. It can miss those thin gold chains just like the Excal's and CZ-21.

OP
OP
triplehooked

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had considered the 1280x but was concerned with the low freq. and it's ability to find smaller gold. 2kHz-12kHz is quite a difference, not to mention the Tesoro is almost a pound lighter. How does the Tiger Shark swing in the water vs. the Fishers? Do you notice much of a difference? I guess I look into it too much sometimes. Something more to contemplate as it also has good reviews......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
triplehooked said:
I had considered the 1280x but was concerned with the low freq. and it's ability to find smaller gold. 2kHz-12kHz is quite a difference, not to mention the Tesoro is almost a pound lighter. How does the Tiger Shark swing in the water vs. the Fishers? Do you notice much of a difference? I guess I look into it too much sometimes. Something more to contemplate as it also has good reviews......
If you chest mount the control boxes from both the Fisher and Tesoro you will notice no difference in swinging in freshwater. In a surf the flatter coil of the Tiger is a little more difficult, but not enough to wrap it around a tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread