Garrett GTAx 500 vs Tesoro Cortes

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been using the Garrett for quite a while and just picked up the Tesoro. I really haven't had enough time to get that familiar with the Tesoro but thought I would do a comparison between the 2 with what little I know so far.
First the Garrett. I am very familiar with this one and really like it. I have been at times impressed with the depth considering it is an older mid grade detector. I have pulled a few wheaties from a measured 7-8 inches. I think this was partially due to some halo effect as my air test (for what it's worth) was not near as deep. The thing that this detector excels at for me is the accuracy of the target id and depth meter on coins, and the ability to pinpoint within an inch most times with a probe. If it says its a dime at 4" I can touch it with a probe at exactly 4". I am able to run it at pretty high sensitivity with no falsing and it has a very simple customizable notch discrimination feature.

The Tesoro I have only had out for maybe 6 hours and am still trying out the different features. I am far from being totally comfortable with it, but it is coming along nicely. I haven't found anything really deep yet but after comparing the air tests between the two I guess I just haven't passed the coil over anything deep yet. Below are the results of the air tests. I know that may not show true real world results but should be a pretty good comparison between the two under controlled settings.
I did each test at the normal settings that I typically run that detector on and then again with the sensitivity maxed. I used a silver dollar, silver quarter, silver dime, and copper large cent.

Gtax 500 Normal Tesoro Normal GTAx 500 Max Tesoro Max
silver dollar 7.5" 10" 10" 15"
silver quarter 6.5" 9" 8.5" 13"
silver dime 5.5" 7.5" 7" 11"
large cent 7" 9.5" 9" 12"

So under the normal settings the Tesoro is definitely deeper, but under the maximum sensitivity settings there is an even bigger increase in depth. These numbers on the Tesoro were in discrimination mode not all metal. Not sure how the id and depth meter will hold up to that kind of depth but we'll see. At least I know there's potential.

OP
OP
S

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, this comparison isn't to determine which of these 2 is the better detector, it's just that these are the 2 that I own.

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread