CZ21 problem

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting last week, my detector started emitting a constant bell tone that wouldn't stop no matter what setting I tried. Later that day at home when I turned it on it was back to normal. When I tested at the beach a few days later, it worked fine at first. Then when I hit a target, and rested the coil on bottom with minimal pressure, the constant belltone came back. When thinking back I'm pretty sure the problem happened the first time after resting the coil on bottom. I just turned the detector on this morning, a couple of days later, and it seems to be back to normal.
My only thoughts are there might be sand between the coil protector. I've never had it off although I've tried a couple of times. It feels like it is cemented on it's so tight, and I give up because I don't want to damage the coil.
Any help in solving my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right about black sand being in the coil cover. Some of these covers are very hard to come off. Try a shallow tub with hot water just to warm the cover and not the coil itself. This should make it expand enough to pry it off. Run a thin screw driver around the edge to open it. Test it without the cover and see if it is fixed. Afterward you can coat the coil with marine epoxy to protect the coil.

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you Sandman. I'll give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread