Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
older cz3ds are getting very hard to find!! nothing wrong with the new ones but...... when you buy any cz3d you should ask the seller if it will get 10 inches on a dime and if it ids correctly.
i suppose if you bought a new one and it did not, you could have it re-calibrated.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electronics wear out or solder connections separate. You just can't tell. However the newer models seem to be made of lesser quality materials. The CZ3D is still a high quality detector which will get you lots of goodies. http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/cz-3d :read2:

davemcc

Sep 11, 2009
Brandon, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CZ-3D, CZ-5
I have a CZ3d. This is the first I've heard of old vs. new concerning the CZ's. Is there a way for me to tell whether mine is old or new? I've had mine for about 4 years now and haven't had a problem with it. Thanks, Dave

space_weaseal

Feb 15, 2010
Texas
davemcc said:
I have a CZ3d. This is the first I've heard of old vs. new concerning the CZ's. Is there a way for me to tell whether mine is old or new? I've had mine for about 4 years now and haven't had a problem with it. Thanks, Dave
I really think the old vs new hype is bs. There are some that just hate the idea of it being made by Frist TX. I almost got caught up in all the Frist tx, hype as well, but i am glad that i decided to give Fisher a try. I have not seen any differences between my new cz3d and my friends older cz3d.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I don't know if its old vs new or just a lot of inconsistency's on 3Ds
but some will hit a dime at 7 inches and others will hit at 12 inches .
I have had 2 CZ 70s and both air test a dime at 10.75 inches.
Find NASA Toms web site and find tons of info. Good Luck

davemcc

Sep 11, 2009
Brandon, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CZ-3D, CZ-5
Thanks for the info. I've been happy with it. Like others have said, it's hard to buy one off the shelf without having a chance to test it out. I bought the CZ-3d based on the performance of my Cz-5. My CZ-5, in my opinion, was exceptional. It's hard to say if the CZ-3d is better. I'd have to give the edge to the CZ-5. Which I haven't used in a few years. Need to get some info where to send it for a tune up and how much an avg. tune up costs. After that I would love to test the two side by side.
Anybody know if that's been done?

Thanks, Dave

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new CZ3D 10 days ago and it had these problems you read about. Called Fisher and they made it right by sending me a new one. Should be here this week. A1 in my book. Buy a new one with confidence that if you should have a problem Fisher service will be there. Just dont wait around while clock is ticking to report concern if you should have one that is.

robo

Aug 21, 2006
Wyandotte, MI.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Minelab 705, Tesoro Vaquero, And my Favorite, CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Other
Get one and you won't look back! The CZ line are coil size per coil size as deep as any detector out there. One of the BEST coinhunting detectors ever made (In my humble opinion) Will never be without one in my arsenal. They do love deep rusty nails but after a while you can distinguish from a rusty nail and a nice deep silver coin! I have found more old silver with my CZ3D than any other detector I have ever owned.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also you can remove control unit and belt mount which makes the rod and 8" coil weight no more than my Tesoro.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
davemcc said:
Thanks for the info. I've been happy with it. Like others have said, it's hard to buy one off the shelf without having a chance to test it out. I bought the CZ-3d based on the performance of my Cz-5. My CZ-5, in my opinion, was exceptional. It's hard to say if the CZ-3d is better. I'd have to give the edge to the CZ-5. Which I haven't used in a few years. Need to get some info where to send it for a tune up and how much an avg. tune up costs. After that I would love to test the two side by side.
Anybody know if that's been done?

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave
Give Felix a call at First Texas 1 800 685 5050 tell him what you think is wrong with your CZ-5....he will give you an RF# to send it in.
I just got my CZ-6a back from them ....from N.Y. to Texas and back took two weeks... they found corosion on the end of coil connector that comes out of the box, and the end of coil where it plugs in to the box ...they put on a new connector and a new coil and a Tuneup cost me $155.00 shipped back to me.
Fast great service ....nice people ....and the CZ-6a hunts so deep...i dont know if the coils were redisgned all i know is that it hits deeper than ever...got a longer digger .
If you value that CZ-5 i say get it tuned up and get a longer digger ...i can`t bleave how deep this puppy goes now IMHO
thanks Gary G.A.P.metal

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ShovelNose said:
Also you can remove control unit and belt mount which makes the rod and 8" coil weight no more than my Tesoro.
I have had my CZ3D for several years...is there a mounting kit or bag one can purchase as an accessory to hipmount my CZ? I have tried googling and can find no such accessories. Thanks Steve

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
This Fisher looks interesting. Is it a dual frequency? and what freqs does it use? I've always liked my F-75 but prefer old school style detectors. This 3D looks like it was made for me.

Thanks, Old Town

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I was considering getting another CZ5 like I use to have.I called fisher service and asked if they were still repairing them and the guy said that the CZ3 uses the same electronics as the CZ5 and they would have repair capabilities for the CZ5 for quite some time.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Old Town said:
This Fisher looks interesting. Is it a dual frequency? and what freqs does it use? I've always liked my F-75 but prefer old school style detectors. This 3D looks like it was made for me.

Thanks, Old Town

If you're looking for old school tech then the 1200 series is that. And they are some fine examples of old school at that. Just seems (IMO) the CZ series was ahead of its time. 5 and 15 kHz dual freq and silver climbs out of the ground when it feels those freqs coming from that coil. Well so do buttons, IH's, LC's, etc...

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have nothing but good to say about the CZ-3D.
And, I am not favoring Fisher in any way. There are alot of great detectors out there.
This one was indeed ahead of it's time.

How much longer they will make it? I dont know.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman just said in a post about a week ago that some one still sells the fisher .....Hip .. chest mount carrier for the CZ detectors they still make them ...... But do not have them listed on there web site.... It was in the Tesoro fourm Oct, 11 .... under ...Chest mounting the sand shark....

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
gmanlight said:
I don't know if its old vs new or just a lot of inconsistency's on 3Ds
but some will hit a dime at 7 inches and others will hit at 12 inches .
I have had 2 CZ 70s and both air test a dime at 10.75 inches.
Find NASA Toms web site and find tons of info. Good Luck

I concur. picked up a cherry cz70 off craigslist last month from a guy who bought two of them thinking his son would want to go detect with him… Its already paid for itself.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont know about the air-testing other than the fact it will prove to you
that you have "turned-on" the machine.
When you are detecting in soil there is not electrical interference (ex. cell phones) being broadcast
through it regularly as there is in the air all about us (Air-Test). As well, coins that have been in the
ground for any length of time bind with the soil and minerals and as well can ionize
which can produce a "Halo-Effect" about the coin. Thus, the target is essentially bigger to the detector coil
and easier to read.

Did you not ever pull a copper penny out of the ground and see the green corrosion on it?
How about seeing the imprint of it in the soil just as you popped the plug, and then could
see discoloration in the soil itself about this imprint.

I find most of my "keepers" in 6" of soil or less, so I dont know about how deep this baby will find them.
I never really dug anything past 9" that was coin in size, so I dont know how deep it can go.
It is a newer unit.

I cannot see why any company would make it so their product would go less deep?
That just does not seem plausible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread