HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like CannonBallGuy says guys! D.Evans was a huge button maker during the Civil War era period! Sorry for not being serious, I ate at Bob Evans yesterday and had too make a joke! CannonBallGuy will be here too give you more info in sec.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ewymore gave the basic info for the time-period of the D. Evans Company, which was one of "top four" biggest manufacturers of military buttons during the civil war. The problem for button-diggers and collectors is that the company continued doing that for 80 years after the civil war's end. We relic-diggers have found 1902-to-World-War-Two US Army "Great Seal" buttons with the D. Evans backmark.

That company's very long history of manufacturing metal buttons is why I urge diggers and collectors to buy a copy of "the backmark book." Its title is American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates (by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. It costs about $25, and you'll be glad you spent that money. Very importantly, this book contains many photos showing the various "evolutions" of the major button-making companies' backmarks. For example, when a Scovill backmark has the abbreviation "Co" (note the small letter o) instead of "CO", the button is post-civil-war era.

Upvote 0

ewymore

May 17, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ewymore gave the basic info for the time-period of the D. Evans Company, which was one of "top four" biggest manufacturers of military buttons during the civil war. The problem for button-diggers and collectors is that the company continued doing that for 80 years after the civil war's end. We relic-diggers have found 1902-to-World-War-Two US Army "Great Seal" buttons with the D. Evans backmark.

That company's very long history of manufacturing metal buttons is why I urge diggers and collectors to buy a copy of "the backmark book." Its title is American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates (by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. It costs about $25, and you'll be glad you spent that money. Very importantly, this book contains many photos showing the various "evolutions" of the major button-making companies' backmarks. For example, when a Scovill backmark has the abbreviation "Co" (note the small letter o) instead of "CO", the button is post-civil-war era.

Nice info for dating the backmarks, gonna have to pick that book up, thanks!

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Without a pic to go on, I thought I had this ID nailed:
DaleComicBook.jpg