Help Identify button with white glass top

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this button and could use some help identifying it. It has what seems to be a white glass front on it. Definitely not plastic. The back is heavily corroded and I haven't tried cleaning it with anything other than a toothpick yet. Here is some history on the site it was found on. Lot's of very old bricks, a map from the 1820's identified this to be a home site- thats what drew me to this particular location. The same area had confederate and union soldiers on it at certain times. Any help would be appreciated. And any suggestions on how to clean it up a bit would also be helpful. Thanks IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1273.JPG IMG_1275.JPG

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe I would soak it in mild lemon juice overnight...then warm water dish soap and soft toothbrush.

edit....welcome to tnet..:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess its milk glass. Kinda resembles the Chrysler logo. Does magnet stick to the back?

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BiggyC is right! Milk glass button. could date anywhere from 1830s too 1900s i would guess. I think these buttons were somewhat popular during Andrew Jacksons time frame? kewl button! I find lot of civil war glass buttons but never found one like the one you have!

Photo below is 19th century Milk glass button!

Attachments

• milk.jpg
    milk.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. What do you use to clean yours up? On the ones you have do any of them have a makers mark on the backside?

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the ones you find in Civil War sites mainly in hut sites and trash pits! Like I said I have not dug one like yours.. I am sure you are asking how too clean the back of the button off, I would not clean the front off anymore it looks good... Just gently scrap as much dirt as you can off and then try lemon juice or ammonia with soap (you can buy ammonia with soap in it @ Wal-mart do not add soap to ammonia). Other then that good luck.

Attachments

• milk.jpg
    milk.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im afraid to give any cleaning advice bit I dont think water will hurt the milk glass however you dont want to get any liquid inside a hollow button. . The backside can probably not be saved if its thin steel. Tinned iron backs may be thicker and stronger.

If its thin steel back my guess would be 20th century. Tin back 19th c.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello myrtlebeach,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us this great button. It certainly is rife with symbols. I wonder if it's Masonic, Order of the Holy Sepulchre, or what...

It certainly does look like milk glass. What's the back look like"

EOHSJcross.gif

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BCH, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I haven't been to TNet in a week because I've been so busy at work and home.

As far as the button is concerned, before I make a call on it, I'd like to see the front cleaned, (semi-wet toothbrush & small dot of Dawn or any dish washing liquid. Also, I'd like to see a close-up pic photographed on any color but white or black. A medium blue or green would be best.

Right now, I'm thinking it could be 1 of 3 materials: Milk glass, white glass, or Mother of Pearl. Not all white glass is milk glass and vice versa. It's really hard to make a call without seeing it in person, but I believe we can get close after cleaning and other pics.

I'm going out on a limb and say I think it was hand-carved, perhaps in Germany. There is a possibility it is signed on the back of the glass portion.

Really neat find :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a milk glass button with white. I think breezie is got a point here with having too see it with your hands! After looking @ more milk glass buttons it seems most milk glass buttons are made more like a Jacksonian button! So there is a chance this isn't a milk glass button after all but it really does resemble milk glass.

Attachments

• milk.jpg
    milk.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Right now, I'm thinking it could be 1 of 3 materials: Milk glass, white glass, or Mother of Pearl. Not all white glass is milk glass and vice versa.
Really neat find :)
Breezie
Good to know. The thought of white coral also crossed my mind. Is there any easy sure way that you use to differentiate between milk glass and white glass or do you just go by experience and feel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_glass

http://www.ehow.com/how_5044204_tell-glass-regular-white-glass.html

http://www.ebay.com/gds/When-Is-White-Glass-Not-Called-Milk-Glass/10000000001454111/g.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is a milk glass button with white. I think breezie is got a point here with having too see it with your hands! After looking @ more milk glass buttons it seems most milk glass buttons are made more like a Jacksonian button! So there is a chance this isn't a milk glass button after all but it really does resemble milk glass.
Thats a very nice similar example Hut with the same brass ring. Can you post the link? Is there a picture of the back? Is it a steel or tin back?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1291.JPG

Here are a couple of other pictures. I did try cleaning it like you suggested. It has "cracks" all through it. It feels like glass but I imagine if it was glass and cracked like that it would fall apart... It's interesting and I would definitely like to find out where it was made and when. Thanks

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey myrtlebeach,

Nice job on the cleaning. This is a very fascinating piece. I've been learning lots of non-germane stuff trying to find the origins of your button.

Tell me, please, how many square nodules comprise the outer circle? That is assuming that they are, indeed, square nodules...

pentangle.jpg

Here's a "black glass" button, with far less symbology:

Antique Black Glass Button w Dusty Blue Luster 7 8" Fancy Center Pentagon 1906 | eBay

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After looking at the cleaned photos, we can rule out Mother of Pearl. As stated earlier, it's really hard to tell 'what' type of glass it is, but I'm going with milk glass. Actually, the kind of glass is not that important. What is important is the fact it is an antique hand carved glass button.

I don't give advice on what people should do with their finds, but if it were mine, I'd be awfully tempted to remove the 'shot' rusted back area leaving the brass ring and face. That way, you could see if it were signed/maker's mark, plus you've removed the rot.

Please don't do this unless your feelings are the same, and unless the back is beyond all reasonable repair. If the back is left untreated, the rust will continue to corrode and eventually the back will fall off.

Thanks for posting the new pics.
:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myrtle- Milk glass is pretty strong glass. Even if cracked it is not gonna bust up like regular glass. Breezie is got very good ideas!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread