Dad found a pretty nice one

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad was walking his property (waterfront) two days ago and he found this laying on the shore I don't know much about it but whatever the material it's very lightweight thanks for looking Attach25916_20200106_153529.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies I'll try to get more pics neither my dad nor I are very knowledgeable of this stuff but we have a friend who is a long time collector and he thinks it's a ceremonial mountain morrow spear point but again I have no idea

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a killer point , definitely a few more pics would be great . What state was
It found in ? Wonder if it could be a Adena vanishing stem ?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say it's a knife. Mabye a Ledbetter or Pickwick. Check out the offset stem. A killer find. Congrats.

Last edited:

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones like that from Virginia are almost exclusively a Late Archaic, Savannah River variant. Most in your area are quartzite. When finished with the rounded, "Cattle Run" (or also called "Island Swamp") type of base they are usually very well made, very thin for the material, made from large pieces of nearly flawless material. Being asymmetric like that is common, especially on used, resharpened examples. A trophy point!

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/points/cattle-run/

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a killer point , definitely a few more pics would be great . What state was
It found in ? Wonder if it could be a Adena vanishing stem ?
Thanks it was found in Virginia

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find, and good for Daddy!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Joe Dirt - great find. We'd all love to see more / closer pictures. A couple of thoughts in addition to what's been written above:

1) If you find a point like that, surely there are additional artifacts to be found in the area. Keep your eyes peeled and your head down.
2) A lot of times the term 'ceremonial' comes up with larger or nicer pieces. I don't think there's any reason to believe the piece was ceremonial. That almost certainly was a used, functional tool supporting someone in their daily life several thousand years ago.

Again, great find. Really, really nice. Thanks for posting.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find wow just laying there thats cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread