Daughters point. ID please.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Looks different than the rest. Pointier and well worn. Drill?
My kid wants to know, how old, what tribe made it, what it was used for and how long it's been waiting for her to find it. Found near Foxfire, NC.

IMG_2113Copy.jpg

IMG_2114Copy.jpg

Upvote 0

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
It looks like a Guilford point. It's a Middle Archaic point which makes it between 5000 to 6500 years old. As for what "Tribe" made it ... well ... that's a whole other story. I won't go into detail, but no one knows by what name early "tribes" called themselves. What you are thinking of is 'Indian', and Native Americans weren't 'Indians' as we think of them in Frontier America. So, in other words it wasn't made by a Pawnee, Shawnee, Cherokee, Iroquois, or Crow. Those 'tribes' didn't exist. When you think 'North American Indian' you are thinking of teepees and horses. 'Native Americans' are a totally different culture of people than what you are thinking, and Native American's made the point your daughter found. That's why a lot of 'true' collectors call them Native American Relics or Native American Artifacts, because Indian Arrowheads is kind of a cliche.

Sorry for the long version, but it needed to be explained.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
GL,

I agree with Lucky on his assessment. The native americans were not classified as tribes back then, ie: Cherokee, Shawnee, etc. I thought the same thing when I had first started hunting artifacts. Tell your kid "Nice find!" and to keep hunting for those arrowheads. I love it when kids enjoy looking for artifacts. The looks on their faces when they find one are priceless! Plus, they don't care what its worth or if it is a G10. They know its an arrowhead made by a native american long ago and that's all that matters to them. :wink:

Good luck!

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I just told her it was made by an Indian thousands of years ago. She is in public(government) school so she is under the impression all Indians lived in teepees and wig wams and use shells for money and have feathers in their hair. She sees painted horses and warpaint in her imagination, she's 10. That's one reason we were going to Town Creek soon. She shows interest now but in a year who knows? Strike while the iron is hot.

I told her it was lost by a guy possibly before the pyramids were built. I have a long way to go to explain all the differences in native people and areas. The only Indians she sees around here are Lumbee.
My first encounter with a Native American other than a Lumbee was with a huge Navajo named White Horse and he scared the bejeezus out of me.

I wish I knew more about NC points, but I dont. There are a lot of point collectors on this forum that can help yall out though. Theres one named Molly that can help ID that point. Neat video. Wish I had a video when my little girl found a little red point in my parents vegie garden a couple of years ago. She grinned and stuck it in her purse. She was six then.
Congrats on that point. Its a nice first for sure, and no matter how many she finds from here on out, that will always be special.
I have found thousands of points and artifacts over the years, but my first, a lil bonham arrowpoint is still a part of my collection. That was Thanksgiving day 1975. :D

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so sweet, you're little girl finding her first point,she'll never forget. Reguardless of her being a girl, she'll more than likely carry on hunting, it's good to start them at a young age. wish I knew about it when I was a wee lass. Wait until he finds one notched or serrated, then she'll be hooked.

What's her name, so we can congratulate her, maybe you can show her this post.

Btw, the guys are correct, It's a well worn Guilford-Middle Archaic..One of the easiest points to type.

Molly. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 192
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 202
OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Her name is Sarah.
She started showing interest when I started showing her the bits and pieces I found.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well If you can show her this message..........

Sarah that Guilford is fantastic, I'm envious you found a whole point. My first point was broken :( I am so happy for you & hope you find LOTS more. Good luck hunting young lady, we look forward to seeing what else you & your father find. Well done.

Molly in NC. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 168
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 169

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread