Dawn Patrol at the Tot Lot

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Today was a very good day. Not only did I get to spend time with my wife, who doesn't always accompany me on my "hunting" trips, but we enjoyed breakfast by the lake with the ducks. I have been wanting to check out this very LARGE tot lot at one of this city's biggest parks for some time and today, at dawn, I had the opportunity.

July8th 001.jpg

July8th 003.jpg

July8th 002.jpg

July8th 004.jpg

Well I wolfed down my breakfast sandwich.. sorry dearest.. and geared up to hit the fortress of sand and woodchips. We had a very electrifying 4th of July here locally and some rather severe storm damage throughout the area, including this park. The tot lot was full of leaves and tree limbs, some plastic hair berets (spelling?) and of course the ever present pull tabs. I only found 8 cents in clad in this monstrosity of juvenile recreation. Hardly worth beating back all the spider webs and the buzzing mosquitoes and biting flies!
I swept the area around a few trees with pic nic tables after the tot lot and found considerably more change there. My luck with tot lots has been lack luster at best. <shrugging>
After I woke my darling wife up from her nap in the car when I had to change my batteries in my detector.. (Always carry spare "fresh" batteries.. Yes I was a boy scout in a former life, why?) We both had a bottle of water and looked over my treasures so far this morning. Deciding that I might have better luck over on the other end of the park where the city puts on free outdoor movie showings every Friday night during the summer "Free Friday Flicks". They have them on a gently rolling hillside with the screen at the bottom and people spread blankets and chairs etc. up the hill to watch the movies. There are two concession stand trailers at the top of the hill along with a row of porta potties.
I worked my way up the hill right up the middle of the viewing area making a beeline for the concession trailers. I found some clad on the way up, more when I got to the trailers. I swept a general pathway from the trailers to the porta potty line and found a bit more change. Then I started down the hill back towards the big screen(area).. I started finding all manner of things. Change, to be sure, and promotional items that were given away at the most recent showing this past friday. I found jewelry (yes my wife perked up for that one, even though it's not really her style of jewelry). I found a pair of children's sandals, a rubber snake, some helicopter toys (with three flying disks that light up when they are spun off the launcher) I found nine little nylon pockets (about the size of a.. well, Pocket) that I suppose had some pop-up type flying disks.. think wire edged pop-up car window shades, only the size of a Frisbee. (see pics) At the bottom of the hill I turned and went back up the hill on the other side of the viewing area.
On my way back up I found more lost items along with some more change. I found some elastic bands, a bungee cord with hooks, a strap off of a roll up mat or something to that effect (nylon web straps with clips). I found a couple of disposable lighters, more pull tabs, some plastic beads that some little girl probably cried over, I found this heavy metal valve of some sort.. looks like a bleed valve off a nitrous tank or something. There was a bottle of bug repellent ( I could have used that earlier at the tot lot! ). I also found a Cell Phone!
The phone was still charged and in working order, even though it had sat out in at least one rain storm since Friday night and two days of heavy dew from the humidity. Cool! Now, what to do with the phone? *sigh* It's nicer than my phone, and I know I could switch the sim card and use it as my own.. but someone had to pay for that phone and I know I would like to have my own returned if I ever lost it. I'll have to go through the call list and see if I can contact someone who knows who the owner is. They can get word to that person and have them come get their phone back. <shrug>
Anyway.. that was two hunts in one morning. Fantastic! Now it was time for lunch!

Oh did I mention that I found a Susan B. Anthony Dollar? My first one with the metal detector.

July8th 005.jpg

July8th 006.jpg

July8th 009.jpg

July8th 007.jpg

July8th 008.jpg

July8th 012.jpg

July8th 013.jpg

July8th 016.jpg

Over lunch my wife and I talked about going to another park, by the river to check out the pic nic grounds from this past week's holiday crowd. WOW! Three hunts in ONE day!

And on to the next post!

Frodov

HH all

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Cool post!! Nice photos and dialog.
Glad you got out and nice finds.
Finding a pmatched pair of earrings is a rare deal. WTG!

Smiles!
BDoo

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My previous phone was that exact one! one of the best phones I ever had until I took it swimming. Also the same one held by Dog the bounty hunter in the opening sequence. (yes, I'm that big of a nerd!) nice finds!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
GREAT HAUL, you really cleaned them out.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey Frodov, nice finds and nice pic's. As hot as its been I might have been tempted to jump into that pond! Keep up the good work.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Fro,

Enjoyed reading of your exploits and finds....got a little bit of everything there...and you ghas the little woman with you to boot! ;D

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your first Susan B. Dollar...and all the other good loot as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread