Modern Cache in a River!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally out hunting after a long time away.
Found a Gumball Machine in the Raritan River, in New Jersey. The thing was full of river mud so I thought it was real old. My brother and I dragged it up to the shore and opened it up. It busted open like a slot machine and muddy quarters went all over the place. Unfortunately the oldest quarter was from 1970. Still Cool though. About 14 bucks all together. gumballquarters.JPG

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Man, that's a cool story! The other night on tv there was a program about a museum ordering two Egyptian mummies from Tiffany's of New York a number of years ago. Unknown to everyone, one of the figerine caskets contained a real mummy but sadly he'd been dead for thousands of years. :)

GRB

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Treasure can be found everywhere!! Congrats on a strange cache!

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of kids in the past running off with the gum ball machines and attempting to take the gun and change out and then disgarding them. Looks like you found a disgarded one that the kids had no luck at getting the money. Nice.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Congrats to you.
Is the gum still good? ;D
-MM-

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
How did the gumballs taste? Great find! I once threw a paper machine in a rock quarry when I was a kid because we could not get it open. I wonder if it is still there.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the machine is from a burglary in the past. Would hurt to check. Maybe they can clear up a case. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lockman434 said:
Maybe the machine is from a burglary in the past. Would hurt to check. Maybe they can clear up a case. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hey all - thanks for looking and for the replies. I don't think the machine was too old - it was made of plastic and had a fairly modern looking light fixture in it.

lockman434, you could not have been more accurate. I brought it up with a friend of mine who works for the transit police. He said essentially the same thing as bclark above -they occassionally find these things thrown out of cars or under train bridges and that I should call the police. I called the local police where I found it and they were quite interested. I told them where they could find the remainder of the machine but haven't heard back from them yet. I hope it wasn't washed away by the river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread