Day 1 at old school

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I was able to go to the old school area today. I am starting where the principals house was. It was torn down just before winter last year and they are going to put up a new building there soon. The whole lot is really trashy. In pinpoint mode on the XLT it was like the whole ground was metal. I was using coin/jewelery mode, should I use coin mode first to find what I can and them go to coin/jewelery or relic mode to find the deeper stuff? Being new I could use some advice with this type of situation.

I did find some stuff. No coins or jewelery but here is a picture of my finds

22APR09_MDing_Total.jpg

The most interesting thing is the tin. I can't make out everything it says due to the rust. Does anyone recognize it?

22APR09_MDing_Tin_Front.jpg

22APR09_MDing_Tin_Back.jpg

I'm going to go back as often as i can before they start clearing the area for the new building. I would think the site has potential due to the school and house being from the late 1800s or early 1900s. I've also talked to people who played on the bluff behind the school when they were kids going to school there so I'll start hunting the bluff once I can't hunt the lot anymore.

Any advice on a good plan of action for a very trashy area would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
with my XLT in a trashy area I use coin mode and not so trashy use the coin/jewelery mode thats what works for me.

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Fropa,

You might also want to put a smaller (5") coil on your XLT. I use an Excellerator II PRO on mine when I'm in trashy areas.

--- Al

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks for all the advice. I only have the original coil right now but will look into a 5".

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks One mans trash. Do you own the pad in the picture? I'm trying to make out the name at the top. I've got N??pareil I think. I've tried some Google searches with a couple different variations with no luck. Mine has some different artwork on it but it's definitely from the same company.

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Nonpareil (having no equal), a popular trademarking word in times past. I found that one on eBay. Can't find any other references to it.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are doing it right. Just dig everythng....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread