May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could I wait for my 2 days off, could I bowlegs. I left work early today to start my holiday :thumbsup:

Dad had tipped me off where the Saxon Sword Pommel had come from & where I should start detecting. 1st rule always ignore your Dad's advice, they know nothing :thumbsup: I started where my gut told me too!
First run I got a roman coin & on that same run I got the best roman brooch I have ever had;

2nd Century import from Gaul (France). Sea Monster called a Hippocampus. The head of a horse & the tail of a fish. The pin still moves. Its a very rare brooch in amazing condition. I can't explain how happy I am with it.

I had 7 roman coins all with some detail in 2.5 hours by myself!

Is it going to be a good day tomorrow?, more importantly will I sleep!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 5,957
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 5,633
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 5,695
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 6,103
Upvote 15

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great that you showed the stuff to the farmer, and gave him some stuff, also neat that he was gracious and did not take any money for the brooch. Its really a neat one....

Shaun, it does not really matter what its worth I think to Cru, its historical worth is much more. Maybe for insurance it does matter. But to get something insured is costly, the taxation is expensive and you first have to find someone to do that, because most of the metal relic finds (not coins) are really worth what someone will give for them. Most of the finds have no set values such as coins.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
woody50 said:
Thats great that you showed the stuff to the farmer, and gave him some stuff, also neat that he was gracious and did not take any money for the brooch. Its really a neat one....

Shaun, it does not really matter what its worth I think to Cru, its historical worth is much more. Maybe for insurance it does matter. But to get something insured is costly, the taxation is expensive and you first have to find someone to do that, because most of the metal relic finds (not coins) are really worth what someone will give for them. Most of the finds have no set values such as coins.

i know that value is irrelevant to crusader(although everyone has their price) i was just wondering how much cru'dad got away with!
personally anything worth over £2.75 would be sold ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:

Correct. Someone could offer my £1000 & I would tell them where to go. What would I do with the money, only spend it on things that I might find one day. Money is like a mobile phone, I do better without it.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

Correct. Someone could offer my £1000 & I would tell them where to go. What would I do with the money, only spend it on things that I might find one day. Money is like a mobile phone, I do better without it.

here speaks a man that is yet to have children ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

Can't blame me for that one :D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

i'm not too sure you can blame me :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

i'm not too sure you can blame me :icon_scratch:

Its not so funny, if I explain it, but here goes. Its a double meaning: 'can't blame me for not chosing to have children (right now) & I was nothing to do with you having children.

Looks like you will have to get out early for the best weather tomorrow. I know I will. Off to new ground, but will stop by & look at the 2nd Fav.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
i was talking about the milkman! or that bloke over the shop who always gives my kids freebies >:(
doesn't explain why they look chinese though :icon_scratch: :D

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun Shaun and find something nice, I will be 'thumbing' for you :smileinbox:, wish I was there with you! And Cru, you are right about cash, I don't really know anyone who, after selling something, was really happer later. Even the guys who have sold everything they have ever found talk about the old days and wish they had kept stuff... Some finds are once in a lifetime, such as the brooch (I think).

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
woody50 said:
Have fun Shaun and find something nice, I will be 'thumbing' for you :smileinbox:, wish I was there with you! And Cru, you are right about cash, I don't really know anyone who, after selling something, was really happer later. Even the guys who have sold everything they have ever found talk about the old days and wish they had kept stuff... Some finds are once in a lifetime, such as the brooch (I think).

it won't be the same without woody the whirlwind :D :D :D

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, neat that you could get a good determination for it. Again Congrad. I know you must feel very good about it, its a top find. Shaun no problem, you won't have any dust kicked up by me to bother you, so search search and search!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Great finds Crusader. Since this is the first Sea Monster I've seen posted, I thought I would throw mine in and see if you think they may be related?

Daryl

Attachments

• Dragon.jpg
    Dragon.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 235
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
Great finds Crusader. Since this is the first Sea Monster I've seen posted, I thought I would throw mine in and see if you think they may be related?

Daryl

Yours is more sudo-heraldic, similar to designs on the Livery Buttons of 1790-1850. I guess yours is post medieval badge of some sort.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I wish we had longer history here. :)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
The Hippocampus is very, very nice, Crusader.

Thank you for posting it here for us to see.

You are a great man !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread