Day 2 at the farm, nothing specatcular.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I played hookey from work so I could get back to the farm. What a beautiful New England day, the dew ws still on the grass when I got there, with the sun making the grass sparkle it looked like a promising day. I brought both detectors and worked to see where I was going wrong. It's the Ace I think there is something wrong with the "calibration?" It pin points the target about 4" off in any direction >:(. Picture to prove how far off it was on the wheatie. Makes me wonder what I've missed giving up on some holes. It is officially parked until I can have someone else familiar with them try it out.

I found 8 shot gun shells, 7 of them are Peterson HV 20 made in USA, which date between 1887-1934. The 8th is a Winchester made in USA 16 Super speed, age? A 1956 & 57d wheatie, 4 more pennies from 61 to 70. A cute little metal button I have no idea on age. Not pictured a huge metal lid, and a can of bug killer! All in all, I was happy with the day.

Attachments

• day 2 at the farm 001.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 001.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 370
  • day 2 at the farm 002.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 002.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 374
  • day 2 at the farm 004.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 004.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 368
  • day 2 at the farm 005.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 005.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 369
  • day 2 at the farm 006.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 006.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 359
  • day 2 at the farm 007.JPG
    day 2 at the farm 007.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on some ggodies!! Has to be silver there!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day out is a good day out! I just got an Ace 250 and will give it a try this weekend. HH, Mike

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
I hunt with an TA 100 that my brother-in-law passed to me a couple of years ago. And i found myself digging "beside" my targets alot too, till i read a little about the Crossfire Coil that came on my md. And i learned that when sweeping, the target will sound off at the leading edge of the coil, not the center. So if i'm swinging the coil to the left, the target will beep when the left edge of the coil passes over it.
I dont know what coil you have, but if you have an 8" crossfire like me, and have been focused on the center, then that would put you about 4" off. Just thought i would mention that, hope it helps ya! Happy Diggin!

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nice finds and good looking spot. What part of Western Mass are you in? I am on the coast just South of Boston. As they say " Even a bad day at detecting is better than a good day at the office".
HH
Roy

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Yes it was a great day, there is so much area to detect, I'm really trying to get an idea of the age of things so I can decide what area to focus on. May take a while with 23 acres :D.

I have tried everything when it comes to pinpointing the target, thats why I used both detectors, allot of times it's 4" to the left, but sometimes it's above or below the coil by the same distance. Rarely to the right. Once in a blue moon right dead center of the coil :-\. So I will wait until I can try another Ace to see if it's the machine.

I'm near the boarder of VT and NH. About 2 hours from you.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Looks like a great place to hunt. Good luck on your detector, and I hope you get it up and working.

R

RUDY2003

Nice assortment! I have had the same experience with the Ace but I think in my case it was just the ground conditions. That is with the stock coil. The sniper coil is always right on....

Keep diggin'...

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:D
Hey CG, wonderfull pictures, made me think of whenI was a small boy growing up in Maine. Sorry to hear your having detectors problems, its always nice to have back up with you. Nice finds and looking to see more great things from you. HH

Desertfox

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CG, sounds like you had an enjoyable day, despite the Ace's problem. I am very sure of good things to come from that site, and just finding things on a nice day, away from work is a winner of a day, anytime. :)

Added a lightened photo of your button, ah, is there any writing on the back and what does the backside look like?

Don

Attachments

• CGbutton.jpg
    CGbutton.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 178
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I spent many a day playing on this farm as a kid. As a matter of fact right behind me (while taking that first pic) is where we were married 20 years ago. I'll have to get you a picture. I'll take diffrent shots for you guys every time I go. It was a perfect day away from work, I needed that!

Thanks folks!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice morning like that helps make the frustration of not finding what you are looking all that much more bearable. At least you got out ;D Nice button by the way.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Country Girl,
This is your boss speaking. "You're FIRED!!!" :o
Neat finds and great pictures. Did you bring a weedeater with you? ;D
I'm like you and many others. I sneak out to MD whenever I get the chance. I'm lucky enough to have two old farm spots to hunt not even 1/2 mile from work. Makes for a great lunch. As a matter of fact I just found another goodie about an hour ago. I'll post it soon.
You got to love the old farm properties. Love that button.
Congrats to you,
MM

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Hey Don you snuck tha in on me I almost missed it, thanks for lightening it up, ran out of time this morning. I'ts a little too rusty on the back to make out any markings, it's soaking in peroxide now ;). It has the same type of backing as the other one I found there.

To only be fired for the summer Miner, day dreaming here. You think the Hubby would let me detect for a living? 2 cents an hour? With a big MAYBE for a bonus? :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread