Dead Mans Canyon and Burned wagons

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neat story, the original one by the western author, J Frank Doby.

The problem is the 'stretch' from the original legend of crossing the Pecos River at Horsehead Crossing, then east to Castle Gap and now a 'possibility' of the wagons being in a canyon 120 miles to the se.

Horsehead Crossing is off State 11 about 25 miles n of I10 and east of Ft Stockton. Castle Gap is a few miles east of there. Google earth 'Horsehead Crossing, Tx'., and Google earth 'Castle Gap, Tx'.

I believe in the original legend the wagons are trying to reach Albuquerque and they were going from Chihuahua north via Ft Stockton and up the Pecos river to ABQ. To me there is absolutey no reason to think they would try to navigate the canyons and really rough country around dead mans canyon and to what end? To reach San Antonio where they were assured of being arrested and held and the valuables lost!!

Just doesnt make any sense to me. When I first heard of this Horsehead Crossing (about 26 miles se of Grandfalls, Tx on ranch road 11), I drove there, a paved road and signs, and looked around, It is easily forded by wagons, etc., although the west bank was a little steep. I then took in the Castle Gap area and it also is fairly easily navigated by wagons and horses. The area around Dead Mans canyon appears to be about 10 times more rugged.

Now having said all that, anything is possible and even though there is no documentary evidence at all to indicate the treasure or wagon trip ever took place, it does make a person want to go look!!

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
........................Hi!!...............Seen a lot of talk about going or even actually being in this area!! Odd that "Check6" has not responded since the beginning of this post in early Jan. of this year! Has anyone tried to contact "Check6"??..................No Offense but if they know the land-owners I would go to the source.................................. and try not to go on Wild Goose Chases especially with the cost of gasoline today!! Check out all your sources first!!............Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions